pics that wont wear down?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ripper75, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    maybe it's the steels, but my pics are being worn down easy. know any good hard pic manufactures?
  2. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    I don't know why you'd want to have any more options, but my favorites are Dunlop Big Stubbys.

[Peter Griffin] Hehe...STUBBYS[/Peter Griffin]
  5. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    There are some picks out there that are made from a bullet proof material i think they cost about $20 each but i can assure you they do not wear down.

unfortunatly i cant remember the brand name so i am no use to you
  6. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Don't laugh. Steve Swallow and others use copper picks. I have also known people to cut up and shape picks out of cymbal brass. It is softer than steel or nickel, so doesn't damage the string, and has a whole different feel than little thin wimpy plastic g*&#ar picks. I have been really tempted to take a file to a quarter, but I haven't done it yet.
  7. Fingers.

they grow back after a while, and they're cheaper than picks....

But seriously, expect to chuck picks away with monotonous regularity. they're disposable. bit of gaffer tape on the side of your cab with five or six average picks should be OK. anyway, if you can't scam your local shop for free picks, you're not playing the game right - "can I just try this bass out? oh, can I try a pick. now what about this one, oh, lost the pick, better 'borrow' another one". Hell, I'd never actually paid for a pick in ten years of playing until a few months ago when I actually caved in and let the guy ring them up in the package...

8. jazz 3.. i have not found a reason to use another pick. i have never worn one down.. maybe that's because i loose them all the time :)
  9. These are the hardest I have seen. They are handmade of stainless steel and were sold for awhile back in the late 1970's. They will outlast any set of stings, any bass you own and most likely you as well!
  10. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    There is nothing like the sound of a celluloid pick snapping off of a bass string. :bassist:

That said, celluloid "melts" into the windings of your typical roundwound string and kills the tone. Naturally, this same process also eats the pick away rather quickly.

So NIX the celluloids. :spit:

I've settled on the black 1.0 mm Dunlop Nylons. I lose 'em before I wear em out. Don't get me wrong, they do wear (slowly, and "neatly"), but they don't 'disappear' or break like other picks do.

Only drawback?

If you play long sets of really, really intense music, the feel (stiffness/resilience) of the pick might 'soften' up on you.
  11. nottalkative

Apr 9, 2005
  12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually, I believe PNG is more resiliant than jpegs... Even compressed, they on't have as much loss... :p

Simple physics:

A softer material (all plastics, some metals) struck firmly against a harder material (steel strings) will result in the softer material wearing over time.

uhm picks are cheap... you are going to replace them. Actually, I have never worm one down either, as I lose them before they need to be replaced.

harder materials are the Ultex (actually, I have a bottle opener made from Ultem.. works quite well), Brass and Nylon.

I've used aluminum picks.. I think they wore out more quickly than plastic, as they were too stiff.. Plastic pics flex, leaving less of the edge to grind directly against the steel. Brass pics to the same. The aluminum pic I had was thick, and just got ground up by my Slowounds.

I'd be wary of using Ti, or SS pics, as they may be harder than your strings! you can lose material on the strings, and possibly actually break a string in the middle of a gig...

Honestly, pic choice should be less on the durability of the pic and more on the sound it gives you. I LOVE my brass pics on Stainless Steel strings.
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    At 25 cents each, why even worry about pick wear unless you're going through a couple every night :cool:
  14. Yup. Skip the snickers bar, and buy 3 picks....they b cheap enough...
  15. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    I've had great luck with the Jim Dunlop nylon-made plectrums.

They work. 'Nuff said. :)
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just bought some 2.0mm Big Stubby's...I like!

Big Twhack!