Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pics: Used/Dinged Euro 5 vs. New/Scratched 55-01 vs. New/Clean Kingston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Jan 18, 2005.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide on my first real bass, and wanted to run these options by y'all. A local shop has a used Spector Euro 5 going for $549. Many here seems to think that its a good deal, depending on the dings noted by the shop. They also have a Lakland 55-01 (standard) going for $600... he marked it down because of a scratch is very minimal, IMO... but I won't turn down a good deal!

I didn't have details pictures of either... until now. The guy at the store was kind enough to let me take a few close-ups.
    As promised in my last thread, here are the pics..

First, the Euro. This first pic kinda shows the chipping of the finish up front:

[​IMG]

Moving in a little closer... this shot isn't very clear, but it looks like someone had on a heavy watch or something while playing.

[​IMG]

And now the bridge... you can't really tell from this shot, but there's a fair amount of crud under there. Nothing a bit of compressed air and swabbing can't take care of.

[​IMG]

A minor crack by the controls...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally the head... notice some chipping on the edge.

[​IMG]

As I said in the other thread, whoever had this bass previously didn't seem to take very good care of it. It didn't play bad at all, although the B was a bit on the rattly side (perhaps needs tweaking). The question is, is it worth a $549 pricetag with those dings?

And now on to my favorite, the 55-01.

[​IMG]

All looks well from a distance, right? So why the price drop? This scratch right here:

[​IMG]

That's it. Hey, I'm not one to complain, I'll take the pricecut! And it plays like butta too. Going for $600, that one is definitely my favorite right now.

Finally, currently running 2nd on my buy option list, is this Kingston:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I really like the way that Kingstons play, and this one looks sexay. Its going for $580... so for $20 more, I can get the Lakland. If I can talk the price down, the Kingston may be more of an option.

That's all I have. I'd really like for you guys to weigh in on that Spector. I'm not sure sure that I should pay that much for something in that condition, when I can get a new axe for almost the same. How much more do you think I could negotiate that price down to? Would I be able to clean up some of those dings to make it look decent?

-M

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That spector looks like hell. Id pass.

Id go with the Lakland.

3. No contest, Lakland. The Spector looks abused.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm just gonna agree with the others on this. The Spector looks to be pretty questionable. Laklands always sound great to me, and IMO are better overall than the MTD you posted.

5. quoted for truth

6. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Glad to see that I'm not crazy. I'd guess that the Spector was probably owned by someone that never put it away or on a stand, and instead just laid it face-down on the floor, banging away with wrist jewelry on, bumping into stuff, and threw it on the couch or bed when he was done.

This is exactly why I'd prefer to try before buying. The pics on the shop's website didn't look nearly as bad as the pics that I took.

Here's a curious question: If that was your bass and you were trying to sell it, what would you set as a fair price?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $450. Assuming everything about it is as uncared for as the cosmetics. It looks like it probably has a poor setup, rust on every screw etc.

$500 if the dings are the only dmg.

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Would sound be of a consideration here? I've found that the two 55-01 soapbars and the single humbucker are going to give you different tones if that is a factor on which to base your purchase, other than the close price range. I just took delivery of a new 55-01 same model, I'd say he is discounting about 50 bucks for that scratch. I also have an Sray 5 and I hear a distinct difference in the sound of each bass. I know my Sray well, still trying to figure out more about the 55-01, so far alot of sustain, nice big booty and seem like very good quality. Have not figured out if there are many different tones in it. But it is only 4 days old so we'll see. Good luck.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd probably get the Spector and have it refinished.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'd rather get a new MTD or Skyline than a beatup Eurospector. It's just a question of what sound do you want. The MTD sound or the 55-01 sound.

11. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yes... but although they differ, both sounds seem to fit my needs (gospel/jazz). After a few short encounters with both basses, I like the phatness of the MTD lows, on the other hand I like the Laklands more defined tone as well... and the Lakland's B has superb tightness.

I'd really have to sit down and take some extended time with both of them when it comes time to lay down some cash.

Really now? Would you pay that asking price for it? How much do you think you'd have to put into cleaning that thing up?

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's not a scratch on the Lakland, that's impact damage. Beware, especially at that price - no bargain!

IMO, $450 tops.

13. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Yeah, it looks a bit more like it got swung against the edge of something sharp. The scratch looks more serious futher up in the photo where it's a little blur.

I'd be a little more wary about the Lakland - I think you should try bargaining down the Kignston a little more :)

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Scratch definitely looks like something hit the knob hard and the impact caused that.

15. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yikes! :eek: I hadn't considered that... man, you guys are sharp. What are the long-term implications of such damage?

I'm starting to wonder how straight up this dealer is. When I went in to take the pics of the Spector, he noted that pics were on the website... when I said I wanted some detail shots of the dings to show someone else, he said go ahead but that he already tried to do the same for someone else and that they didn't really show up. My digital camera isn't all that great, but it managed to show all of the damage fairly well. So that, combined with passing the Lakland off as just a scratch and a great deal gives me second thoughts. Of course I don't expect all dealers to spill all of the beans up front, they're trying to turn a profit... but there's a certain level of honesty that any dealer needs to have, especially when enduring the Texas 8.25% sales tax to support the local guy instead of using him as a tryout then ordering online.

Now that I have a bit more wisdom on my side, I won't go in there as awestruck next time and will have to take some serious questions and negotiations in there with me. His response may determine if I do business there when its time to lay down the loot.

16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    +1
    thats one thing I noticedx when I first saw the photos. It's more of a crack then a scratch. both the spector and the lakland have that where the knobs look like they took a drop kick. I've played a high end mtd and if they have similar tone or playibility as there expensive brothers, id go with the mtd.

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

I've bought quite a few things from the dealer you are speaking of. He's always been honest and fair. I drive from San Antonio to do business with him and he has always been a pleasure to deal with. No worries with the dealer. I was able to return an instrument to him and get a full refund with no questions asked.

I have actually played all basses that you are looking at. The spector has been "used". Sounds good and has the EMG pickups. Sometimes, IMHO too sterile. The Kingston is what it is... a $600 bass. The lakland is not a bad instrument. Of the three probably the best.

I was told recently, that some manufacturers, including Lakland will have instruments that were damaged from Korea during the shipping process. Instead of fixing the instruments, these are sold to dealers at a greatly reduced price.

I don't think the damage is life altering. Having actually seen and played all three I would settle on the Lakland. You maybe able to bargain a little

18. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the input, that's quite a confort to hear. My first impression was that he was an ok guy, so I was kinda worried when enlightened of the possible damages in this thread, especially with this being my first time trying to make such a purchase.

Any other input on the long term effect of the Lakland damage?

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Pot replacement. Other hidden damage? Check the neck pocket for stress cracks in the finish.

20. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Howdy, Mid-jazz, first of all nice to see your in the city of my birth, beautiful town, can't figure out why I am in still the Houston area. I think I may have passed on that bass for the new 55-01 I just had delivered. If that is the Empo store, I talked to the guy on the phone after viewing a new one on their website. He mentioned that he had a slightly damaged 55-01 at a discount, he did mention it was a surface crack but that it would not effect playability. I don't recall if we discussed the warranty. But with S&H, though I was considering driving over to pick it up, it would have cost about 20 bucks less than what I paid for my new 55-01 online, free S&H, 2 yr warranty. Maybe he can lower his asking price or see what he has to say about the factory warranty. Good luck, post if you get it or a new one, so we can compare notes. Later.