Picture guide to cleaning pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Well I feel like quite a noob... I dont know how to clean pots and im not sure what they are. My experienced bass friend told me that i should clean him but he doesnt know how to either... Well i was wondering if someone could show in a series of pictures how to clean pots... if thats too much you could just tell me in words. Thank you.
  2. forget the picture.... can someone just tell me how to change pots?
  3. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Just go to an electronics store (radio shack) and pickup a can of contact cleaner or tuner cleaner. Open your bass to get into the pots, (where the wires hook up), look for a little 'opening' and spray a LITTLE of the contact cleaner inside (be sure to use the little red hose/nozzle supplied).

Turn your pots fully to the left and right about a dozen times and you're done....

4. thanks... but what are pots?
  5. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    The thingies that your turn; volume and tone controls, those are the pots.

Look on your volume/tone knob; is there a little screw there? Is so, loosen it and remove the knob and now you will see a small metal pole about 1/2" long.

Now thats the TOP side of the pot. You need to take off the plastic that the pot is attached to by removing the 5-10 little screws that are screwed into the bass. On the inside (or other end of the pot) you'll see the round part of the pot that's about the size of a quarter. There's a little slit there justd look for a small opening;that's where you spray the cleaner in.

It would help if you told us what model bass you own...

If you look at the bass below, the white plastic with the dozen or so little screws need to be taken off. The pots are attached to them.

And a pot:

6. I have a epiphone thunderbird... On a thunderbird the pickgaurd isn't attached to anything related to the control knobs and their aren't any screws.. hmm a bit or a problem...
  7. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Not a problem; turn the bass over and there's a plastic or metal plate on the back of the body. Open it.

When you're at radio shack buying the cleaner, ask them to show you a volume pot. You will see the little slit that you have to spray into.

Good luck and let us know how it goes....

8. i'm confused, whats dirty, your pots or your friend? :smug:
  9. Thank you. I noticed something odd... there looks to be a job for a sodering gun... take a look at the furthest right one. their is that one wire that comes in but it is not connected to anything and looks to go on the furthest right one. Also, how do i get those off to get to the actual pot?

Attached Files:

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics

B. That's your ground wire; it keeps your pickups from buzzing

A soldering gun can destroy your pickups and/or your pots.
  11. Why is soldering so horrible? What should I do instead?
  12. The only thing horrible about soldering is that it can be tough to get a clean job when you're new to it. There's at least a few threads round here that'll give you some really great advice.

I think beav2k2 is referring to your use of a soldering 'gun' rather than a soldering 'iron'. The gun is a significantly beefier version, generally used for bigger tasks.