Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picture of a magnetic pickup mounted to an upright

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Lync, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Hello all,

I don't post here but lurk quite a bit (as I am so far from a schooled upright player it isn't funny). Anyway, I am looking for pick of a magnetic pickup mounted to an URB. I have a blues band where the URB looks great, but there are feedback issues.

I am not worried about losing the "Upright tone" (please go easy on the tomatoes, purists), since a P bass sounds fabulous in this situation also. In fact, if it sounds more like a p bass, that would be fine with me.

Anyone have any pix so I can get an idea of the best way to mount the pickup?

Thanks!

2. What kind of pickup is it, a P- bass pickup?

3. If you're looking for cheap, I made one a while back when I was playing in a loud classic rock band. Pictures at http://www.csp-music.com/pickup/ .

I hear the String Charger is pretty good if you want to spend more.

BTW, make sure you have steel strings on your bass if you are using a magnetic pickup.

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I guess it could be a P bass pickup, I have both P pickups and J pickups available in my parts drawer.

Really, just looking for ideas...I would probably go with a P pickup since I don't have a stacked J available.

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Thanks! That is a start-I may long into the string charger and the others that were in the archives but figured I would go this route first just to see what I could come up with.

How are the selects working out? I have a set of Active EMG's where I was thinking of trying just one pickup.

6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Any reason why your P pickup is mounted opposite of how it is normally mounted on an electric bass? Do you still use that setup?

(wheels are spinnin')

7. P-style pickups are often 'reversed'(on slabs)to make the naturally-more-bassy low strings(E & A)more trebly/twangy & the D & G more bassy. I imagine that was the idea here.

8. I generaly don't use the pickup anymore since I move around allot and this thing seems to move too much in it's position. If I had to do it over again I would have made a stronger, more permanant mount. The velcro doesn't hold it as well as it should. It does not fall off but even the slightest movment changes the volume of one or more strings.

I was just pointed to http://www.windworld.com/products/magspotPU.html recently and I think I'm going to try experimenting with those.

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Lync,
    In the past I once had a pickup built by Paul Toeninges. It had
    four seperate magnets that were adjustable. It was certianly loud enougn. I played basses with the Schaller. It's pretty cheap. has a attached volume control and sounds ok I guess. Here's a link and a pict. It will get pretty loud.

http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de/1386.htm

10. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    A thought: Electric pickups on DBs are often supposed to sound more like BGs and less like UBs, but some of the best, most accurate acoustic guitar pickups I've heard have been magnetic. The Sunrise system is magnetic, and the new Fishman active Neodymium pu is magnetic. Curious, that.

11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It is kind of interesting, isn't it. My Paul Toeninges Magnetic had the ability of a magnetic pickup to track fast passages and resist feedback, with that fairly even frequency response that magnetic pickups have. The Paul T. sounded much better than the Polytones, or the early Barcus Berry's, but that was a long time ago. It did have serious limitations when Theater Studio Lighting would generate 60 cycle hum through the amp. Fortunately the good old B-15 had a polarity reverse switch that usually fixed that problem.

IMHO, an ideal pickup sounds more like a really good studio microphone, but that kind of reproduction comes at
    a high price and has it's inherent limitations. While I'm willing to
    live with that compromise, I can understand why other's are not.
    It seems that the only to get a really accurate warm sound frequently reguires some kind of dual system.
    Ric Vice

I've always wondered how a Lightwave PU would work for DB as
    an adjunct for the AMT. But, I'm not that technically savvy, for all I know it could sound really bad.

12. Hey Lync,
    I had a buddy who modified a p bass pickup to put on his upright, and it sounded very similar to the Stringcharger. I don't have any pictures for you but I know he did use some velcro and adhesive tape to stick it to the back of the fingerboard. Ultimately, he bought the Stringcharger I believe because it stood up to the nightly abuse he puts his bass through a little bit better. You can also check out some magnetic pickups from Biesele. They sell them direct at this web site: http://www.biesele.org/pickups/ . Hope that helps ya.
    -Nate

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Well I was hoping to have some progress to add to this thread, but I guess I will just have to wire up some P pickups and experiment. I will set them up in reverse to see if that keeps things more even.

If not, I will pursue the pre-made ones (although they are kinda pricey for how much I am going to use them).

Thank you everyone for your information and ideas. If I do come up with something, I will be sure to post it.

14. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Stewmac.com has EMG Select P-Bass picups for $23.90- you can hardly wind one yourself cheaper than that! I haven't tried that pickup, but I've installed Selects in guitars, and they're good.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Here's mine. It's as advertised. Pre-made coils salvaged from a couple small stepping motors. Little neo magnets inside the coils. All is adjustable via screws and slotted holes. It clamps onto the edges of the fingerboard, and a cable goes directly down to a jack on my tailpiece. The coil assemblies are held together with silicone RTV.

All I did for cosmetics was to put those little rectangular pieces of thin black plastic on top of the coils. The plastic is cut from the shell of an old 3.5" floppy disk that I pulled apart. However, it's enough to make the pickup look pretty discreet. Coils are wired in alternating series, so it's a humbucker. Output signal is very weak, so I either have to crank the gains on my amp way up or use one of my homemade preamps.

The tone is not perfectly authentic, but it plays very well in bands. You get more upright tone than you'd imagine. Before you pass final judgement, have someone play your bass while you listen in the audience. I was pleasantly surprised. And I get copious compliments about my tone. It's a working class bass -- 1962 Kay that I got for free in 1982 because it was in pieces and written off as unrepairable.

Attached Files:

• mag.JPG
      mag.JPG
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
  16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Before building my own thing, I used Select P-Bass pups. My solution was a huge contraption that anchored to the edges of the belly and was held on by a strap around the back. The only real problem was that it attracted too much attention.

17. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    fdeck-cool stuff! I have no problem doing something like that.

I was ignorant and purchased a cheap Chinese plywood 3/4 URB off of ebay (with an upgraded ebony board). It plays decent (after I had to have it set up by a local luthier), and sounds okay. I also purchased a Fishman BP100 pickup that I now mount between the bridge and body, but still have some feedback issues.

I will look for those EMG Selects-I had a P set years ago on my first bass as replacements after the original pickups blew up, but I can't remember how they sounded. They are an inexpensive experiment though. Thanks.

18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at getting a String Charger. I have tried a Bassmax, and a Rev Solo peizo pups on my bass. Both feed back when played in a bass:bawl:

19. How about working around this whole feedback-problem by EQ'ing it away with a 31 band EQ. I have not tried it myself, but that's what I'm expecting to do in case I get severe feedback problems. Isn't that an option?

20. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I used to use a Select p-bass pickup in a bg I used to have. The sound was very good, and I think it would make a good, and cheap, experiment on db.

Good luck, and post pics when you're done with whatever you decide!

Liam