1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

picture this...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rockwarnick, Mar 5, 2008.

1. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    You're a college student. You have just received a $50 gift card to Guitar Center. You have an inexplainable affection and love for playing bass(who here doesn't?). You have finally found the set-up you want, bass, amp, and cab. However you have no pedals. Your love for bass is content with sweet pure tone. Your band with which you had so much faith in has recently fallen to pieces. You're left with a desire for a new friend (an effects pedal 'cause you're tired of being let down by people). You've had pedals before but you sold them or let them collect dust because through your life as a bassist you have learned about quality. But you still want one. Maybe...a delay? One that morphs, is analog, and has some other crazy effect you would love. Or how about a distortion? Fuzz? Or is it an overdrive? No. Band has eroded. You're by yourself. How about a phaser? Maybe a pedal you constantly overlook?
    You don't have much money to spare on top of the gift card but you are willing. Plus your band has turned you into a gear snob...and you know GC isn't the best place for pedals...
    What do you do?

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Buy two sets of strings from GC and get a boooooooooooteak pedal elsewhere.

3. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    booteak, nice.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Me plus exotic hardwood? That makes for an interesting picture only a woman or bass enthusiast could enjoy. :D

OH, you mean "boutique..." I didn't realize that. :rolleyes:

Yeah, a boutique pedal isn't a bad idea. For the lonesome bassist, I'd suggest a high-quality bass overdrive pedal or some sort of ambient effect (delay, chorus, flanging, phasing, etc.).

But if funk is your thing... you need a good envelope filter. ;)

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    How about a Zoom B2 so that you can sit there all by yourself and tweak for hours on end, then if you decide after that that you really want a compressor/phaser/filter/overdrive/whatever, go for it. Then if you decide to go down the separate pedal route and become and effects nut, you can keep the B2 as a stage tuner, headphone practice amp with built in drum backing tracks, or amp modeller for when no amp is available and you have to go direct to PA. I've got loads of pedals already, but thinking of getting one of these because it's so versatile and CHEAP.

6. Ashdown J-Lo Hyperdrive - brutal.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 for the strings. $50 won't get you anything really good anyway.

8. +1

Or some delay goodness - Line6 EchoPark or Marshall Echohead. Lots of different sounds in those boxes.

9. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    im not looking for a $50 pedal, that's pointless. i was just saying it helps me spend $50 more than i originally would have. which is about $100-$150

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Use it on strings. Then go somewhere else and buy the MG Bukowski Envelope Filter. And then post a review. 'cause I wanna hear it. :bassist: :p