Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pictures from Bass Quake 2004!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Curry, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hey guys, first of all, I would like to thank Daniel Elliot for putting together Bass Quake 2004, it was way cooler than I had expected. I got to meet some really cool players as well as some of my fellow TB'ers for the first time. Thanks to anyone who put up with me sticking my camera in their face including, but not limited to, Stu Hamm, Michael Manring, Nathan East, Norm Stockton, Trip Wamsley, Todd, Mark (Whappo Grande), Chuck, and many more, sorry if I forgot to mention you. So, here's a small collection of what I think are the best pictures I took yesterday. If you see something you like, let me know and I will send you the super high res version (suitable for getting prints made).

#1 Yamaha brought some really nice basses to the show, but we didn't get to play them, what a shame, they we're so nice.
    [​IMG]

#2 Mark, we know him as Whappo Grande, was repping for Accu Groove and throwing it down with this, a Knuckle Quake 6-string. This mean axe has a 39 1/2" (Don't forget the half!) scale and starts on a low F#. Thanks to him for letting me play this monster and the one we've all sean as his icon, that sweet, sweet Ritter 6-string fretless, it plays and sounds as nice as it looks.
    [​IMG]

#3 Stu Hamm. On to the show! Stu was a treat to see. I started out on bass a long time ago and I remember learning some tricks from one of his hot licks videos, which he was more than happy to demonstrate how to do them properly. Some advice he had was to "Always play to a metronome." and "Play as slow as possible." he went on to explain how this builds finger strength and also helps with finger memory. He was also nice enough to sign a book that I had. Thanks Stu!
    [​IMG]

#4 David Friesen. He played beautifully and had some real insight into what makes a good player. He told us to ask ourselves "Why are you playing music?" and "What are your goals?". He also demonstrated how an echo effect could be used as a learning tool for fretless instruments.
    [​IMG]

#5 Norm Stockton. I was simply amazed by this guy. He had his groove mojo on yesterday and gave some great advice, "Develop a passion for the groove." and "Leave the attitude for the guitar players.". I decided that I could learn something from this guy, so I bought his entire 4 DVD set and CD, which he was nice enough to sign for me. Thanks Norm!
    [​IMG]

#6 Michael Manring, here being introduced by Trip Wamsley (don't worry, there's some better pics of both these guys later). To anyone who missed this event, be sad, be VERY sad! Michael played what could be described as THE MOST emotional instrumental bass song ever, seeing it live made it that much more intense. Michael is the KING of altered tunings, and he proved it (not like he has to). Michael's set was cut a little short, but he more than made up for it later by playing a very unigue piece that only he could come up with. Again, if you weren't there, you might just want to go hide in a corner and cry. He was nice enough to sign 2 CD's for me, thanks Michael!
    [​IMG]

#7 Trip Wamsley, this guy lives up to his name, and his parents picked a great name for him, because he is exactly that, a 'trip'. He admitted to being a 'bassoholic', and that he likes to sit on his amp for undisclosed reasons (low B maybe?). He used a loop sampler (Boss RC-20) to lay down a groove on an electric upright, and then play some awesome fretless melodies over it. He was very funny to talk to and even let some guys play his bass, what a nice guy! There we're no ego's here and Trip was just hangin out like one of the guys. He looks a little confused here, but I guess that's normal. Trip was also nice enough to sign his latest CD for me. If you don't have it yet, get it, he needs the money!
    [​IMG]

#8 Here's a good picture of Michael Manring and Norm Stockton just hangin out. I did get to speak with Michael briefly and was surprised to find him to be a very quiet and soft spoken individual. Pretty much the exact opposite of what I had expected considering some of his compositions. This man definitely lets his bass speak for him. Norm was also totally cool to talk to, if you've ever wondered what is on the headstock of his bass, it's not a sticker, it's sushi inlay!

[​IMG]

#9 Here we have Kristin Korb, Nathan East, and Todd Johnson. First of all, don't let being a woman fool you, Kristin is ALL business and can play a mean upright. I think we we're all impressed. At the end of the night during the "All-Star Jam" she played what can only be described as a very non-bass bass solo. Essentially, she played her acoustic like it was a percussion instrument, it was really cool and very original! Her and Todd played some very nice jazz tunes for us including some standards. Todd can play too :smug: (Todd, did you get that picture I sent you?)
    [​IMG]

#10 Finally, Nathan East (who was nice enough to sign a copy of his "The Business of Bass" DVD for me, and also gave a free copy to Todd.) Nathan was extremely humble and had some very good words of advice to those of us who aspire to be studio and session players (get his DVD!) Watching him and Kristin play was really neat, you could see how they we're feeding off of each others creative energy. I think I may have seen him drop a note when Kristin played a single phrase from the peanuts theme. It was almost too much for the rest of us too, we laughed, it was the only time that any noise had interrupted anyone playing that day. It didn't phase them though. Pros, all the way.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I did not get any good photos of Myron Dove tearing it up. The poor guy broke a string during the first song, but unless you we're close enough to see it dangling from the headstock, you would have never known, he didn't miss a beat. He layed down the main groove during the All-Star Jam later with a new set of strings.

I have many more pictures, but these are the best. Feel free to ask if I have anything specific you might want to see, I might have it. This little post has almost turned into a review of the show. Who else went, what did you think?

2. sweet pics!

i wish i was there!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Pic #8 is missing.

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Oops, thanks. it's fixed now.

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Very cool of you to post the pics. I just ordered Nathan's DVD, should be here soon, can't wait. Does anyone know of any sites where I can find out more info for bass events around here or LA? Thanks in advance.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My electric bass teacher {Scott Pazera} let me borrow the Vic Wooten Super Solo Bass Video [something like that] and hearing this stuff along with seeing/reading about it all makes me realize-a few things: first-Never Quit Taking Lessons, Second-instead of spending money on more gear-buy more CDs and DVD/Videos, third-save up for trips to Bass Quake, and TB GTGs. :bassist:

That's all

edit: almost forgot, really killer pics-thanks for posting them.