Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pictures of basses with slap ramps???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I'd like to see some more pics of basses with slap ramps, if you've got any then post em'

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Ramps aren't designed for slap. They're designed so that you have a point of reference when not playing over a pickup. A bass with a Lightwave system or only piezo pickups would be a good bass to have a ramp.

Plucking, during slap, would be hard to do with a ramp under the strings. Just like trying to pluck directly over a pickup. Not enough space for most players.

-Eric.

3. yes I know that they are mainly used for points of reference, I would just like to see different materials that people have used for them on their basses

thanks for the replies

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Slap *plate*
    [​IMG]

*Ramp*
    [​IMG]

different things with different purpose

5. I've never seen a slap plate...is that steel???

6. I've always been under the impression that ramps help atain faster fingerstyle. Your fingers can't dig in as much with a ramp, and it gives your thumb a place to anchor itself for the players that do.

Many ramps only go between the pickups to allow for slapping without the ramp, but I believe that you can also go faster with the ramp up to the fretboard. It's a lot easier to double thump on ramps too! They also seem to help with double pops.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I find it much easier to double pop over a thin ramp (not necissarily curved). I find that the gap between the strings and the body of my Spector is too large and slows me down when double thumping because my figners get stuck. Oh well I just need to refine my technique,

What exactly does this slap *plate* do ? I'm intrigued, more info please.

8. It protects the end of fretless boards from wear when you slap on it. I'd assume it sounds a lot more like slapping a fret too.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Radiused wenge-topped ramp:
    [​IMG]

Radiused pink ivorywood-topped ramp:
    [​IMG]

I accidentally ordered each of these about 1/8" shorter than they could have been, so I put a thin black wood veneer between them and the pickups.

I should have a pic of my third bass' ramp tomorrow...it will be ebony-topped to match the black of the pickups, rather than cocobolo to match the fingerboard like these two have.

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I'm afraid to ask but..... :bag: Got pics of the 3rd bass?

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that one is aluminum (I think)... I've seen them made of brass mostly. Sometimes it's just a single fret inlayed flush to the end of the board.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is it with my extra pink ivorywood ramp as a temporary ramp. The problem with it is that it's a different radius (12" when the bass' radius is 16") and it's about a half inch too narrow, so it's not much help. My new one should be getting here tomorrow. Rob Elrick built them all for me.

[​IMG]

13. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    A gorgeous addition to an already ridiculously gorgeous collection!
    [/hijack]

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Benavente and Fodera are probably the best at using ridiculously nice woods in their ramps. Here'a buckeye Benavente ramp:
    [​IMG]

Thanks- the only problem with owning really nice basses is that people expect you to be able to play them well when they see you :p

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is Norm Stockton's bass with a "slap ramp".

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's the new ebony ramp:
    [​IMG]

17. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    is there any place were i can order one of these ramps (for not to much preferably). otherwise were could i get the wood...thanks in advance

18. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    If I may ask, how do the ramps stay attached to the bass? I would assume some double-stick foam tape or something... if so, does that not mar the finish on top of the bass after a while?