Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piercing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marson, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Hey, I'm curious if you put in an earing ( witt spacers) or regular earings and belly buttons and lip and eyebrows and etc............ if they close after you take them out?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    eventually, yes. the hole will close. how long it takes to close depends on how long you've had the piercing. i had my eyebrow pierced for 2 months, but then i had to take it out cause i got hit in the face, complication from that. and it closed within 24 hours.

3. I'm pretty sure certain piercings close quicker than others. It's usually alright to take out a ring or stud for a few hours but ideally you could just replace them with a transparent bar or even some kind of wire, just to keep it open. But plenty of people I know will sometimes leave their piercings empty for periods of time with no problem whatsoever.

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    really depends on your body, where the piercing is, and how long you've had it for

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Also depends on the SIZE of the piercing. For example, the half-inch holes in my ears will never fully close. They will shrink up to a much smaller size over time, but will never close up all the way.

And yes, body part matters too, I have a 4ga in my tongue, but I bet it would close after about a year of not wearing jewelry in it.

Most standard 14ga jewelry will close up after about 1-6 months, depending on location. Note by standard, I mean surgical steel, and done with a needle, not one of those barbaric guns. 18ga jewelry (what they use in guns) will close fairly quickly.

6. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I had my ear pierced for about 10 years before I took the earring out. I've had it out for about 4 years, and the other day my wife was curious if the hole was still open. We put a stud earring in, and it went straight through.:)

7. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    It depends on your ears really. I havent' got my ears pierced, but it took a few monthes for my moms ears to close

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I got my tongue pierced many moons ago - left it in for a couple years and never changed out the big original bar. I remember the damn 'clamps' hurting more than the actual piercing. Once I took it out it closed up pretty fast - couple months tops?

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ya, any piercing in your mouth, tongue especially heals pretty fast compared to other spots. For example, the average tongue piercing is pretty much healled after about 2-3 weeks, depending on the person, and is healled enough to eat regularly after only a few days. Whereas say, a nipple or belley button may take as long as 4-8 weeks to heal. The mouth in general heals very fast, and is not very prone to infection, because of all the enzymes and antibodies in your mouth.

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Streching out your earlobes is a gamble though. I know people with 1/2" holes that closed up over a few months. I streched my lobes many years ago...and I'm pretty much stuck with it. I have 00 holes where one will close almost all the way and the other wont go down past a 4ga. At least just taking them out and leaving them out. However, I've heard down sizing works for some people. I have yet to try that though. I also have a friend who had plastic surgery to have his closed...cost him around $1200.:eek:

So, if you're thinking of blowing out your ear lobes, do it right...gradually. Don't jump from 10ga to 4ga, or 4ga to 0ga...like I did. Go down from 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 then 0.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ya people always ask of course, did it hurt stretching your ears, and I always answer the same way....not if you do it right.

I skipped a guage here and there, mostly because buying jewelry for every guage gets expensive, and some of the smaller ones arent big jumps. But yes, if your gonna do it, use as heavy of a jewelry as you can find for each stage (IE, go with solid steel, instead of tubes or something), dont skip guages, and wait 6 WEEKS or longer between stretchings, and they will likely close up just fine, eventually hehe.

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I took my tongue piercing out for 4 hours and it closed up! tongues heal FAST and I had it for like a year ;(

13. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Everything said here is correct. It depends on the part of your body, how long you've had it, what gauge the jewerly is, and how fully healed the piercing is. My ears have an 8ga in them and although the gauge is a little big, the piercing is fairly new and will close after an hour of them being out. But my girlfriend has her septum pierced and its at an 8ga also but she has had it since she was 14 and she can leave it out for up to a month.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I think extra-body piercing is as revolting as the extra-tattoo fad.