Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezeo on a vintage Marshall 1 x 15??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by line1, Nov 16, 2004.

1. should i add a piezeo to my '63 1x15? How dangerous can installing one be, and how much does it effect the sound. I know a guy who will install it for me, but will it affect the resale value and any thing else i don't know about?? :(

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Any mods to a vintage cabinet will certainly affect its resale value.

If the speaker is original, I wonder how well it will hold up anyway...

As for its affect...a piezo will add all sorts of sizzle that was never there to begin with...

A nice, reasonably priced 1x15 cabinet with a piezo tweeter to listen to would be the SWR Workingmans 1x15T...

3. what do you mean by sizzle...??

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Piezo tweeters are very efficient and can be harsh. They add lots of high end cheaply but sometimes at a price. The Motorola type piezos that are quite common don't sound good to my ears. The LeSon piezo tweeter that SWR uses sounds better, but for not much more money, you can buy a better tweeter and crossover and get highs without harshness.

Keep in mind that if you have an old school 15 that rolls off in the low KHz range adding a tweeter starting at 5 KHz is going to leave a big hole in your frequency response... Only you can decide whether it sounds good or not.

Instead of modifying a cabinet that might have collectors value, you could build a small cabinet for just the tweeter and place it between the cabinet and your amp.