Piezo Bridge Pickup for Cort Artisan A5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Uncle Lee, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Does anyone know of any good piezo bridges/saddles/pickups that would be good to install on a Cort A5? I want to defret it, put on an ebony fingerboard, and the piezo bridge would be the icing on the cake.

I play mainly jazz so the percussive/stringy/jazzy sound is what I am after. Ideally, I want to replace the switch (or one of the knobs) with a pot blend so that I can mix the two magnetic pickups with the piezo bridge.

Suggestions anyone?

Uncle Lee
  2. Anyone? I am having a really hard time finding stuff on the internet, names of any piezo bridges you may have used or seen would be welcome.

Is it just me, or are piezo bridges not so popular with electric basses? I just know them from the double bass....

Thanks all

Uncle Lee
  3. Well, I really don't know much about it but I'll give her a shot.

The biggest name (if not the only) I know of for piezo pick ups for a solid body bass is Fishman. I did a little poking around on their website and did not see anything for anything other than upright bass.

Now, they are on plenty of solid body and ABG's

The conclusion I cam to is that the bridges with the Piezo options for these bass are all proprietary. In other words, there is not an aftermarket piezo set up for solid body basses. Even Carvan, they sell a bass with a piezo set up, they also sell all of their parts separately. On thing it looks like they don't sell is their piezo set up, or at least it is not on their web site or in their catalogs.

Seeing how they are proprietary, I went to Cort. They do have an Artisan model with a piezo option. http://www.cort.com/basses/artisan/c_index.html

You can contact Cort, or maybe a Cort dealer in your area to see if what you will need can be ordered. They also have a forum, do a search there to see if has been done before.

Good luck,
  4. Thanks for the move to pickups. Sorry about the wrong posting.

Matt, thanks for your tip. I am going to do some perusing of the Cort site, although it looks like the Piezo pickup they offer (the Powerbridge from Fishman) is only available for the four string bass (I want 5 strings). I will contact Cort about this.

But for now the question (for me at least) remains open: is it possible to purchase a piezo bridge/saddle pickup for a 5 string, anywhere? Given that I am so used the MASSIVE range of piezo pickups available for double bass, I am a little surprised that I can't find anything on the web. Perhaps they really cannot be purchased individually! :(
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
  6. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a Fishman Powerbridge on my Dean B2-5, and I can honesty say that if someone stole it, I would hunt them down and beat the snot out of them. They aren't available to the public yet, only OEMs...but if you know any luthiers who might want to buy a set lot of them, like 50, for "production purposes", I bet the Fishman people would be willing to make a sale. They aren't cheap to start with, but in quantity they may be an "investment" that would pay off....you could sell off the "excess inventory" here on TB, and I know of at least 5 people here that would buy them, right off the top of my head. I know I'd be good for at least 3 of the 5ers... :D
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    www.ets-hardware.com will make any of their bridges with piezo saddles, and a Bart or other piezo buffer would probably be all you need to integrate into the existing active setup. Plus a new pot of course to allow a piezo/mag blend.
  8. Thanks all for your advice.

I have checked around and will probably go with the GHOST system by Graphtech, because it is "relatively" easy to install and apparently sounds great (and it is not exceedingly expensive).

I'll let you know how it turns out, but it could be a while due to my being abroad.

Thanks again for the feedback!

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a Graphtech piezo system that is installed in a hipshot bridge that has taken over two years to complete,That is being installed in a new bass I'm having built as I speak.
  10. Hi! What do you mean it has taken 2 years to complete? I assume you are referring to the bass? :confused:

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002

No I mean the Piezo system itself with the Hipshot bridge.over two years ago was when I first approached Graphtech about this,they informed me that they had never made one for a Bass guitar,let alone install one in a Bass bridge,so between some back and fourth and losing one in customs it was finaly finished,the Bass that it is going in I had put on hold for this system and now the Bass is close to completion.if you're in contact with Graphtech and you have any questions about this system the guy to talk to is name Lea.
  12. Ok, thanks for the info! Let us know how it sounds when installed. I have heard some pretty cool things about their GHOST system for guitar, but little about the bass version, as it is so new.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002

Thank you,once the bass is up and running I will let you know how the system sounds.