Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo Bridge pup question....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I searched, and read up on the Piezo bridge (which I intend to get on my soon-to-be Stringray 5. Now, I've decided to get it, but, the question is, beings that it's a crystal based pickup, how durable is it? I'm not talking beating the crap outta the SR5, but the normal "Whoops!" bumps, drops, bangs, and general abuse basses take, including jumping around on stage. Will this sort of accidental (well, except for the jumping) behavior have any effect on the Piezo bridge? or "is it safe"? Asking to see if I need to curb any behavior while playing/handling/moving the bass.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does nobody know!?

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    That's a dang good question. I've got a Fishman on my Rob Allen and it's O.K.
    But then again, I'm an old fart and don't hop around a whole lot :p .
    I think you may have addressed this in another thread, but given your style of music,
    why piezo? More sensitivity for slappin' / poppin' ? I treat my R/A with kid gloves.
    I don't think I'd ever use it as a "stage" axe. On the other hand, Stingrays are built like
    brick sh*t-houses. I think it'd take a "Pete Townshend" type move to really mess=up
    the piezo.

[Edited by notduane on 01-19-2001 at 04:30 PM]

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well notduane, I decided to get the Piezo because I like to experiment on my own time, and after I do that for a while, I work stuff into the music. The Piezo is also, as you said, for slapping on popping, which are the very large slices of my playing style, so I decided to get one, not to mention I'm a gismo freak, and that's a one up on most rock players (if it's not be quiet, better to live the lie than know the truth!). And, I'm a putz. Any questions?

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :cool: Well alright! Stock-up on the 9-volts and enjoy! :D
    Now I'm thinkin' :rolleyes:...I wonder how tapered-core strings would work with that piezo?
    DR Tapercores ("Long Necks"), the MM and piezo pups? Yikes :eek: !
    That'd give the term "rich" a new meaning - no more muted Hippo farts there! :p

6. Groove

Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    I think the piezo bridge is a great addition to any quality bass and can be used for any style! as far as wear-n-tear goes...don't fret it man. The actual pickups are so small it would have to be the perfect smack to screw them up. Enjoy!