1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Piezo bridge question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mat b, Apr 29, 2010.

1. mat b

mat b

Dec 21, 2005
    Albuquerque, nm
    I'm not sure how to wire my hipshot A style with the graphtec ghost piezo, bartolini buffer, and Bart 3 band pre together. Will the buffer replace the volume pot?

2. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    No - it will give you an additional blend: mag-piezo. Out from that blend will go to the ntmb in (yellow). Vol/Tone stil controlled buy the ntmb. Docs available on Bartolini sit if you don' have them.

http://www.bartolini.net/Installations_Specs.htm
    buffer: MPB2-918
    3 band: NTMB-918

3. mat b

mat b

Dec 21, 2005
    Albuquerque, nm
    Wow! Cool! Thank you for your clearing that up for me! So if I wanted to Make the bass a piezo only, I really don't need the buffer then? It sounds like it's just a mag-piezo impedance-match?

4. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    The mismatch isn't really between the mag and the piezo but between the high output impedance of the piezo and the low input impedance of the preamp in your amplifier.

5. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Right -
    The piezo needs the bufffer with mag or not. I would suggest having both the buffer MPB2-918 and either the 3 band: NTMB or 2 band: NTBT. I use the NTBT in my jazz fretless with piezo to fit on a standard jazz control plate. 4 knobs: Vol-Mag blend-Mag Peizo blend-Bass/Treb.

6. mat b

mat b

Dec 21, 2005
    Albuquerque, nm
    Ok cool, I'm going with a piezo only, so I guess it would be a volume, piezo buffer, mid, treble/bass stack?

7. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Sounds like a MPB2-918 and NTMB winner. Fretless?

8. mat b

mat b

Dec 21, 2005
    Albuquerque, nm
    Yes it is! It's a warmoth flamed korina body with an ebony ramp from the bridge to the neck, a maple neck with a brazilian rosewood fingerboard, epoxied, also a warmoth... I'm converting it from a fretted jazz... We will see how it comes out...

9. cool!! thank you for the post, i just got NTMB-9183GF and about to replace the stock preamp from my Cort RB5 and add some piezo..
    for the piezo, should i replace the stock bridge to this hipshot piezo bridges? is that any other way? to done this without replacing the stock bridges?

i try to combined the NTMB-9183GF with MPB2-918 and the original stock bridge, is that possible?

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you want the buffer first, otherwise the volume pot would wreck the piezo tone before it ever reached the buffer.

11. 6fb4_2.
    so, i found this bridge with piezo at ebay
    is there anyone use this bridge on their basses? or done some mods with this bridge?
    is it possible if I combine this bridge with barto mpb2-918?

12. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have a creative audio redeemer circuit ( basically a buffer) in my bass. Can I run my p-pup and piezo saddles to a 3-way selector (p, p+piezo, piezo), then to the redeemer, to the volume out to the output jack? Will this do the same thing as the bartolini circuit?

13. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    The piezos need to see the buffer/preamp as soon as possible, so would need the buffer before the 3-way.
    D

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you could do a 2-way switch for one or the other, but passive piezos don't mix with passive magnetics.

15. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    So, I really do need something like the bartolini dual buffer. Yes, I want to run my pup through a buffer as well.

16. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Yes - that would be one way to go - you will have a blend knob insteadt of a 3-way switch.

17. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Or, it looks like I still have the option of using that dual bartolini buffer and a 3-way instead. My pup is a dimarzio will power p-pup. What is going to be louder, the pup or the piezo? Probably the pup I guess.

18. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
  19. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, thats the one I was thinking of, thanks.

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The only thing I still am not sure of it how the magnetic pup will compare volume wise to the piezo. I plan to use the dual bartolini buffer so that the magnetic pickup and piezo are both buffered. So, how different would the volume levels normally be? My whole signal chain and rig is based around the high output p-pup.