Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo bridge questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jan 4, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=440&cat_name=5-STRING

BB_3430-P02
    ABM 5-String Bridge, Lock-Down Saddles, Gold, W/Piezo Saddles, 3-3/8" Spacing

Anybody have one of the ABM piezo bridges? The spacing is 3-3/8" Isn't that a bit Huge?!

Isn't that about 21mm spacing?

Are the specs wrong? oris the spacing really that wide?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    AFAIK, ABM fabricates bridges in different spacings. In Europe, it seems to be more usual with the 17to20 adjustable bridges.

And a completing question: what buffer is good for piezos? (a question that is seldom asked but the answer is the difference between glorious and dreadful result...)

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Cool. A good follow up question too. The customer is checking onto that. He wants to use the piezo and a Bart pickup.......t

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    ABM sells two bridges through AllParts, one is "wide". That's probably what you have found. The other one is more like 2 7/8" if I recall correctly. The piezo models are not width adjustable. I used one with a Bartolini buffer and it sounded pretty good. Not sure if they are an exact fit for each other but I was able to get a decent sound with it (the MPB-1).

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Somebody on here used a Fishman Powerjack with theirs. Not sure who, or how it worked out, but I do like me some Fishman stuff!