Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo Bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by topper, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Anyone have experience with electric basses with piezo bridges? How do they sound? I'm thinking about using one in a project bass. Should I include a traditional pickup too or will the piezo sound stand on its own?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Just after I got my EBMM Bongo, which has a piezo bridge, I recorded some sound clips with different settings for the magnets/piezos and EQ. Maybe this will help you to get an idea of how piezos sound. Here's a link for downloading the recordings packed in a .zip file:

http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36L7OGY977CXJ29K9NV1LC8T0Y

Please read the enclosed document first. Hope this helps.

3. Piezos give your bass a sort of acoustic sound...that is because they pick up the vibration of the entire instrument (including the wood) and not just the strings, as a magnetic pickup would...they also pick up easily the sound that your strings make when the contact the frets (that "clack clack" sound)....

I have a bass (carvin AC-40) that has an acoustic type bridge and only a piezo pickup... I think it sounds very clean and very natural...piezos have great high response and do not sound boomy in any way...

IMO, the best of both worlds is a combination of piezo and magnetic...

in fact, my carvin has a sound hole, and I'm kicking around the idea of making a mount for a magnetic pickup in that soundhole and feeding it into an amplifier separately...