1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Piezo Bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by topper, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Anyone have experience with electric basses with piezo bridges? How do they sound? I'm thinking about using one in a project bass. Should I include a traditional pickup too or will the piezo sound stand on its own?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Just after I got my EBMM Bongo, which has a piezo bridge, I recorded some sound clips with different settings for the magnets/piezos and EQ. Maybe this will help you to get an idea of how piezos sound. Here's a link for downloading the recordings packed in a .zip file:

http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36L7OGY977CXJ29K9NV1LC8T0Y

Please read the enclosed document first. Hope this helps.

3. Piezos give your bass a sort of acoustic sound...that is because they pick up the vibration of the entire instrument (including the wood) and not just the strings, as a magnetic pickup would...they also pick up easily the sound that your strings make when the contact the frets (that "clack clack" sound)....

I have a bass (carvin AC-40) that has an acoustic type bridge and only a piezo pickup... I think it sounds very clean and very natural...piezos have great high response and do not sound boomy in any way...

IMO, the best of both worlds is a combination of piezo and magnetic...

in fact, my carvin has a sound hole, and I'm kicking around the idea of making a mount for a magnetic pickup in that soundhole and feeding it into an amplifier separately...