Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

piezo bridge

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nunk6, Jul 21, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    will these bring out the harmonics or just increase the top end?

2. Piezo pickups give a bass a much more acoustic vibe. Lower quality piezo are known for having a clacky bright sound but this isn't necessarily true. Harmonics should come out better but being fairly microphonic in nature, so does string and finger noise. From what I hear, the shadow piezo elments in the ABM bridges are not full enough sounding to stand on thier own. I would check out RMC and Rick Turner piezos if you have the chance. Remember, because of the high impedence of piezos you need preamp buffer as well. Bartolini sells one for ~$60-80.

3. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I'm thinking about going the piezo route as well. Rick Turner uses a custom Highlander rig on his basses, but their website doesn't appear to offer whole bridges or replacement saddles. What other options are out there?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to pickups...

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The GraphTech ones are very nice and are compatible with Fender-style saddles. I installed a set in my FrankenWarmoth project bass and since have become a dealer for them. Unlike others I've played, they don't seem to have that inherent "clankiness" and are very warm sounding. Visit http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/graphtech.html for more info and a link to photos.