Piezo Bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CKYorDie, Aug 22, 2001.

1. CKYorDie

Jun 14, 2001
    I want to buy a EB MM Sting Ray and I found that I had the option of buying a Piezo Bridge with it for more. My question is what is a Piezo Bridge? And does it sound different from the standard bridge on the Sting Ray?
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yes..it sounds MUCH different.. piezo's are the little dots mounted in the saddle of each string and act as another pickup. The stingray w/ piezo's has an extra knob to blend the bridge piezo's with the magnetic pickup. Piezo's sense vibrations, instead of magnetic fields, so they have different characteristics. They make your Highs much more pronounced, but IMO can sound harsh when used alone. They also make bad technique sound a LOT worse than it already does. I am in the process of saving up for a stingray 5 w/ a piezo bridge and i can't wait for it.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This actually belongs in Pickups, but hey...

Piezo bridges put a crystal based kind of pup (I seem to recall, I might be waaay off, but I swear that Piezo has to do with crystal compounds of some sort...) and puts it underneath each saddle on the bridge. Basically, the Piezo's make it sound more acoustic. That's kind of the only way to describe it from my perspective. It workes well blended in with the magnetics, because it takes the edge off the lows, making it a little mellower. It's good for slower peices, or, if that sound is just your bag. But it does accentuate the highs a bit more, so that might be bad...

The fact that they are under/in the saddles make it sound the same as any MM bridge, when you go to completly Magnetic, it's the same.

If it were me, I'd get it. Couldn't hurt, and it opens up a few more sonic posibilities.
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yea..i heard they were crystals too, but the look like metal, so im not sure what that's about... i DO know that they convert vibrations into electrical current. And yea they are used for acoustic pickups, but the one i tried didn't sound too warm, i thought it added an edge if anything... ofcourse i could be wrong, not to discredit brendan.... but im pretty sure that they will not make you sound any different if they're turned off... so if you can afford em, go for it...
    if you want an idea of what piezo's sound like, Vic Wooten uses them on a few songs on A Show of Hands. His are wired so that the E and A strings are a seperate signal from the G and D strings for a stereo effect, and he's playing a fodera, not a stingray, but you can still get an idea. More Love and A show of hands both come to mind as piezo's but there may be more.
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have piezo on my stingray 4 and use it a lot. It mellows the tone, and you can blend it to any level you want as stated above. I commonly use a 50/50 mix on my piezo/magnetic. Plus, 5 knobs look really bitchen.
  6. piezo's are cool. Kinda the opposite of the quartz crystal in watches. Instead of supplying it with a current, then using the vibrations as a measurement. You vibrate, then it supplys a current. Really neat material/physical property.
  7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    actually its the same thing.. ever her of a piezo tweeter? That takes a current and produces vibrations, while if you were to yell into the tweeter, the vibrations from the air would actually produce a small current.. it will sound horrible if used as a microphone, but it works.
  8. The piezo elements are indeed crystals.

If I had paid more attention in my materials science class, I would probably be able to go into depth about how they work. :D