Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo direct out...possible? How?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Feb 21, 2006.

1. I was wondering, something I often do, if it would be possible to run the 4 piezo signals to 4 separate jacks and mix them externally? Its something I'd like to try on a future project, but I'm not totally familiar with piezo wiring, and would like to know exactly what I would need to put into the signal chain of each piezo output between the transducer itself and the jack? I figure there might have to be some sort of buffer in there somewhere, if so, where do I accuire (or how do I build) such a thing? I don't want an onboard volume or tone, just the simplest, best sounding path from transducer to jack.

Thanks all!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

sure it's possible. I ran a pair of piezo's straight to the jack no buffer.

Do a TB search for piezo's. There's several threads. Radio Shack piezo for one. You're not going to get anything but a hollow woody treble tone from cheap piezo's - and that's all I've looked at. Seems Rick Turner said a quality piezo would do like a quality condenser mic - low!

3. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    Piezo pickups need to work into a pretty high input impedance on a buffer to get maximum low end. They also make lousy line drivers which is why we generally prefer to buffer them on-board. That said, the first piezo bridge I did for Brian Bromberg in 1989 had four passive pickups going to four output jacks, and he ran those into four Countryman direct boxes into a recording console to lay down his stereo spread tracks. Crystal based piezos' signals do better passive than do piezo film signals...