1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Piezo/ghost bridge+pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Jun 30, 2014.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I know that you need a buffer preamp when using the hipshot ghost bridge (piezo). If you are going to use active EMG's as well can you tie in the buffer to the emg preamp. What is the easiest way to do this? I have a passive Bart BC pup but I think I would eventually go emg. So for now I would just go active buffer plus the BC Bart. Please help?

2. Are you talking about active pickups, or a preamp? Your second sentence is not clear.

You can mix buffered signals of similar output impedance. You will need to check the output impedance specs of each device, to be sure, but in general, it should be easy enough to combine a piezo buffer with either an active pickup, or a preamp output.

3. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Sorry is wasn't clear. What I was wondering was can an active emg pickup work with a hipshot piezo bridge? Do I need a separate buffer for the piezo since the emg is active already ( will the emg circuit it's self act as a buffer once combined )? Thanks for the earlier reply.

4. Trying to run piezo elements parallel to active pickups would give even worse results than running piezo elements parallel to passive pickups, because the impedance difference is even more extreme. The piezo elements need a buffer providing an input impedance between 5M and 10M. The output impedance should be comparable to the output impedance of the active magnetic pickups.

5. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Thanks so much for the info! I will look into perhaps a passive EMG (like the hz series). I prefer passive so that really is the way I should go. When I get my piezo bridge I will use a bartolini buffer and either my Bart BC pup with it or one of the HZ series pickups. I have no experience with piezo, hoping this system will sound good in my ongoing fretless build.