Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo madness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amper, Mar 19, 2005.

1. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Well, now that my "new to me" 2000 EB/MM
    StingRay 3eq+piezo unlined fretless in Transparent Gold w/ matching headstock has come in from eBay, and I've replaced the strings with TI Jazz Flats, it's definitely going to replace the 2002 that was exactly like it, except for the piezo.

I am now a true believer in the piezo pickup.

So, here's the question: How many of you guys are playing your piezo-equipped basses with the piezo pickup only? What kind of bass is it?

Here's a pic of my new girl...she's got a 1-piece body and a perfectly flatsawn birds-eye neck...I'm in love!

[​IMG]

2. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    I have a fretted SR5 with piezos and love 'em....gotta love the piezos! I'm having another custom bass built w/ piezos, and am considering equipping one of my current basses with piezos as well. I never play with the piezo only, though, I always blend it with the other PUP, to varying degrees, depending on the tone I'm looking for.

Mikey/

P.S. Sweet fretless...enjoy that baby...I'm sure she sings.

3. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    My Status Electro has one humbucker and a piezo bridge that absolutely sings. Most of the time I use the piezo only, and I get everything from super dub to upright tones to hi-fi clarity, and all with incredible musicality. With the humbucker I can add some mid punch, and nail a Ric 4001 tone for those angry moments. This is the best bass I have ever owned on all levels!!!

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Iam a big fan of piezo and Mag. pickup conbination.
    I have a fretless MM Sterling with a piezo.
    Having a 6-string fretless McComb ABG being made now.
    Also gasing for a Rob Allen MB-2.
    Also someday will get a Status Electro bass.
    Piezo's are great with flatwound or tapewound strings.

5. Ive got an Ibanez EDA-905, i usually only use it with the piezo, maybe a tad of the magnetic pup

6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Does anyone make flatwound phosphor bronze strings to go along with my piezo pickups?

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Took the new 'Ray to rehearsal fo rthe second time tonight. Unfortunately, the first time I took it (last week), I forgot a strap, and the strap on my Jazz is permanently affixed.

The bandmembers are suitably impressed with the sound of the piezo. I made a mute out of a rolled up paper towel and jammed a bit on "So What" (gotta love that opening bass line), and "Violaine" by Cocteau Twins. Wow.

8. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I have a Lightwave sabre. It's got a great upright tone and it's fitted with Thomastik Acousticore (nylon core) strings. I highly recommend them for piezo-only or light-sensing pickups.

9. I frequently have the piezo on in combination with mag p/ups on my first series yamaha TRB6P.With the right eq it sometimes sounds like nylon strung classical guitar whilst playing the upper registers.Absolutely love it !!!

10. I have an EDA905F (fretless) but almost never use the piezos by themselves. Alone, I feel the piezos are too harsh, but blended to different degrees with the magnetic pup is what makes this bass sounds so good.

Mohawk, what do you think of the magnetic pup by itself?

I feel that it's got a nice bottom, but it's dull and dark on the top end. With either just the magnetic pup, or just the piezos, I think this bass would sound rather plain.

I think every fretless should have piezos; not so sure about fretted.

Mike