Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

piezo on my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steve-o, Feb 20, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have the element and a preamp fron an acoustic guitar. how can i get this to work?
    can the element just go under the bridge?
    it is as wide as the bridge. if that matters at all.
    just looking for something differnt. not the best sound from the preamp (as far as i know)

any help is appreciated.
    thanks
    steve

2. I'll bump it for you; sorry, no idea what to do. I know a few people who have piezo elements in their basses (Dave Grossman has some in his Hanewinckels), so maybe you ought to do a search on "Piezo" and PM people.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    thanks

steve

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Most piezo setups for electrics have individual elements in/under each bridge saddle. That's how mine are. You've got a long strip? I'm not sure what you could do with that. How thick is it?

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes. it is a long strip. length wise about the size of the bass. and not really thick. as thick as a quater maybe.

steve

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You mean as long as the bridge? :)

IME piezos are fairly sensitive to the angle the pressure is applied on, so though you could try putting a plate under the bridge saddles and putting the strip between the plate and the bridge (of course this would raise the strings up, you'd have to have enough leeway to adjust them back down), but it might not sound very good.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If it comes from an acoustic, then the strings are supposed to lay directly on the long piezo bar.
    It requires a bridge replacement.
    But do you want to have an acoustic-like bridge on your bass, which will hardly be adjustable ?
    It could look nice though, sort of like on a Danelectro.