1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

piezo only amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dlmarquez, Sep 19, 2008.

1. I'm curious, what do you "Piezo" types use for amps and speakers? I have a Piezo/mag bass that I play almost all of the time in the Piezo only position. I am currently running an EA iAmp 500 thru an avatar neo 112. I love the sound of the EA but not so sure the Avatar is the cats pajamas for cabinets.
    I seem to prefer the sound of the iAmp rather than my Ampeg fliptop for the piezo.
    What do ya'll prefer..warm tubey sound, or very hifi to run your piezo's thru?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Seems to my ears like piezos often transmit a lot more very high and very low frequency content, compared to traditional mag pups. This requires an amp/cab that can reproduce those sounds without sounding harsh in the highs and without farting out from the lows. Two possible solutions would be a very wide-range speaker cab with relatively high power handling, or an amp that is voiced to attenuate or smooth those frequencies. If you're using the stock speaker cab with your fliptop, I bet it would sound a lot more awesome using the fliptop head through a much larger, higher-fidelity cab.

3. +1. I find that the Acoustic Image heads seem to do the best job with piezo loaded EB's. The voicing of those amps (Clarus and Focus) is an unusual combination of a clean, but somewhat dark, mid present voicing, with a very smooth, organic top end. The mid presence combined with that organic top end makes the piezo's sound very musical.

I never had much luck with the very deep, very wide, very 'hi fi up top' voiced iAmp with these piezo loaded instruments. It was kind of 'too much of a good thing'.

I really loved the Clarus or Focus with Acme combination for the Rob Allens. The Acme's could handle that big, bloomy piezo low end without any problems, and the three way design of the Acme resulted in the top end being even sweeter and 'woodier' than the Focus through other cabs. Nice stuff! A 4ohm B210 with a Clarus is a really nice small to medium gig rig for that kind of 'EB does DB' sort of piezo vibe.

I also find that the VLE (passive treble roll-off) control on the Markbass amps does a very good job to soften up the extreme treble response of the piezo's, and the tight low end of the F1 model in particular, along with a very even and 'forward' mid voicing really works wonderfully for magnetic/piezo combination EB's.

4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    The Piezo bass offer a lot dynamics in addition to range.

I'm also a big fan of the Acoustic Image (paired with two bergantino 1x12s).

minirigofdoom1.

I've picked up a EA 300 and am running it with Accugroove Tri110's. Sounds pretty good but its not a perfect marriage (IMO the Accugrooves would be happier with more power).

EAtest.

I want to try one of those older 2x8 Baby Blue Combos and an Aguilar AC500 w/ Jack Casady cabinets.

While I like compact really "hifi" rigs, TB'er Spade2You runs his with a big Ampeg rig and gets great sound.

In reality i play through a Phil Jones Briefcase more often than my other rigs (practice or with my musical partners on acoustic guitars). My "custom" tweed PJB is the coolest of my amps.

DSC_0054.