Piezo only, neck through design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MKS, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Hi.

I was discussing a possible new bass design with a luthier friend of mine, and I was wondering if you could comment on it for us.

I'd quite like to build a 6 string piezo-only hollow-body bass. The bass wouldn't need to have great acoustic projection since I'm not really intending playing it "unplugged". In the last bass he made like this, my friend used a set neck design very similar to Rob Allen's design. However we were thinking about making the next one with neck through body, and having hollow wings.

The question is, with a neck through design, and only piezo pickups will the pickup get much sound advantage of having hollow wings? I'm thinking of something like the Warwick Infinity type of design, but piezo only.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
  2. Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    It depends...
    1st, hollow body wings would change the unamplified sound of the instrument, which in turn affects how the string sounds, so there would be a difference in the sound.
    That being said, it depends on how the peizo's are mounted. If they are saddle type piezos, they will pick up more direct sound from the strings. If they are piezos mounted in the body, they would pick up more of the body's tonal resonance. So the body type piezo would get more of the hollow wing's influence.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think It would be cool to try both type of piezos.

Have the under saddle type, and a couple of the disc type that you place on the body .

It would be cool to be able to blend the sounds of the two.

4. Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking of the Headway piezo system mounted below the saddle (not individual saddle piezos).

Any other ideas or comments would be appreciated!