Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo Panic...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cozmic, Jul 29, 2003.


  1. cozmic

    cozmic

    Aug 8, 2002
    Germany
    Hi Everybody,

    I have a problem with a piezo pickUp on my fretless bass.

    I have a fretless bass, equipped with 2 Kent Armstrong Studio humbuckers, a brass milled Bridge, Active Noll Electronics and a active Noll mix pot for mixing the magnetix pu´s with a piezo pu (see http://www.bassline-bass.de for info). I installed a B-Band piezo strip under the bridge, right where the strings rest on it. The screws of the Bridge (3) are tightened. The Signal coming from the Armstrong pu´s is ok , but the piezo signal has very little bass. The trim pot on the mix pot is already set to full. Any ideas on how this can be fixed? Could it be, that the piezo element doesn´t pickup enough of the strings oscillation, because the bridge is consuming everything? Or is the placement under the bridge the problem, because there´s not enough room for the pickup to pick up the oscillations from the strings? Would it help to replace the brass milled bridge by an ebony one?

    Thanks in advance

    Andrej from germany
     
  2. patrickj

    patrickj

    Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm not sure if I'm following your description properly, but it sounds like you've installed the piezo filament under the metal bridge itself.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    What you need is a bridge similar to this (ebony would be fine). Route/dremel out a small chamber and lay in the piezo strip. Get a piece of bone, file down grooves for the strings.
     
  3. patrickj

    patrickj

    Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    or some better pics.. obviously an acoustic guitar, but the process/fundementals are the same regardless of stringed instrument.


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  4. cozmic

    cozmic

    Aug 8, 2002
    Germany
    Problem solved... :)
    Here´s what I did. I replaced the B-Band with a Headway "The Snake" System. Tightended the outer 2 of the bridge fixing screws full and loosened the inner one a little. That did the job. Now I have a great acoustic sound with lots of lows and crisp highs.
    No additional work needed to be done.
    I think, the B-Band was just the wrong choice.

    Thx for all your suggestions!