Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo Passive Buffer?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tony moore, Jul 21, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of adding a piezo pup to a bass. The bass is already passive and I'd like to keep it that way. Is there a passive buffer anywhere that I can add to make the piezo and 2 passive pups friendly with one another?

Any other suggestions in wiring a piezo and 2 single coil magnetic pups?

Thanks!

Tony

2. The Wendler Electrocoustic bass has a passive magnetic/piezo system, but he won't tell you specifically how it's done. Check out their website.

3. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I suppose it's possible, but my designs are based on three parameters...the "MagPi" system of course, plus the body lumber/carved shape, and most importantly to your question, the tall, quarter sawn maple bridge. I believe the less metal in the bass(or any instrument), the better.

I know you'd be able to get some piezo buffering with just the magnetic pickups, but I doubt it would be enough; piezos by themselves don't satisfy me personally, but then those are just my ears.

4. doomars

doomars

Dec 26, 2013
    Hey people,
    Here is my situation. I've got a Japaneese made PB62 body (Fujigen factory '85-86 golden age) to build fretless bass. When I got it I found that it was passive piezo eguiped bass. Now I have a beautiful 4 string passive fretless from 70s. And I'm checking now how can I finish this project with passive piezo. I appreciate if anyone can help me with it. BTW I think they used special wood (one piece I believe) for this piezo bass. It is defenitely not ash or alder, maple or mahogany.

And thanks for all information I've got from this thread.

Gene

Attached Files: