piezo pickup for bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazzbassist114, Oct 17, 2004.

1. First of all, can it be done? I have a Hartke WK-4 :bassist: that i really like, but i'd much rather have a more acoustic-ey sound for some songs. Could somebody, if it can be done, help me with what kind of pickup and how i should install it? thanks. :D

2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    There are basses with piezos so it can be done.
  3. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Yes it s possible, and it works very well.
    I know RMC piezzo system wich is really good stuff , permiting to obtain impressive electric sounding and also more acoustic tones.
    I have tested the "zia RMC" bass from JPbasses and it s a huge machine. Big lows, with great highs, killer slap tone.
    I was really surprised by all the details piezzo captors transmit in comparison to magnetic pick ups.

here is a pic of this killing machine:
    more about it at www.jpbasses.com
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    ABM and Schaller also sell bridges with peizos incorporated. Bart and EMG make buffers for them too.
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There was a thread recently about using Radio Shack piezo buzzer elements under the bridge. I'm not sure how great it would sound but it's basically the same idea.
  6. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    It actually sounds pretty good. I use two of them wired to a volume and tone pot. Interestingly, though no suprise, they do better with different woods (great on my maple and swamp ash basses, not so good on walnut). But for under $10, it's worth a try.