Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo pickups vs. bridge pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrWalker, Mar 12, 2006.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I've got a Status Shark bass, and it sounds really good. However, it lacks some bite, which isn't much of a surprise, given that it's got one pickup in the Precision position. :)

I haven't decided whether I should do anything about it or not, but I'm thinking through my options here...

So, the question is, which type of sound does a piezo bridge actually yield? Will it add some "bridge position" bite, or will I have to install a bridge pickup to get that?

Thanks for any input.

2. a piezo will give you a more accoustic type tone reminiscant of an URB. Go with the the pickup if you want to keep that electric sound

3. If you already have a magnetic pup a piezo can be used to give a stronger high-mid treble boost i find

on thier own they sound very accousticy, but, with a magnetic pup, it just really adds to the sound (experience with my Ibanez EDA)

4. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Thanks for your input, guys :)

I'm basically looking to get a little more of that "Jazz bass" sound. the bass sounds really round and full with the current pickup, but for some jazz tunes, you obviously want a slightly tighter sound.

I think both of you confirm my "fear" that a piezo will contribute to the sound, but possibly not quite in the way I'm "hearing" in my head. I think piezos would be a nice experiment, but maybe not on this bass.

Maybe I should save them for my fretless? :D

5. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    definitely fretless, i have an Ibanez EDA, with single soap/piezo monorail bridge. i just want to take the frets out cause i know it will sound awesome, but my pzs add way too much treble at 3/4 to full knob. kinda brittle and brass like, super excellent harmonics though, id say better than bongo's. im sure a lot of my sound is the luthite body, i imagine a wood bass sounds better with piezos. if i knew it wouldnt break id rout it out for more pups, but who knows with luthite? for now i would say you should add a pup not piezos, for that j sound