Piezo pickups vs. bridge pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrWalker, Mar 12, 2006.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    I've got a Status Shark bass, and it sounds really good. However, it lacks some bite, which isn't much of a surprise, given that it's got one pickup in the Precision position. :)

I haven't decided whether I should do anything about it or not, but I'm thinking through my options here...

So, the question is, which type of sound does a piezo bridge actually yield? Will it add some "bridge position" bite, or will I have to install a bridge pickup to get that?

Thanks for any input.
  2. a piezo will give you a more accoustic type tone reminiscant of an URB. Go with the the pickup if you want to keep that electric sound
  3. If you already have a magnetic pup a piezo can be used to give a stronger high-mid treble boost i find

on thier own they sound very accousticy, but, with a magnetic pup, it just really adds to the sound (experience with my Ibanez EDA)
  4. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanks for your input, guys :)

I'm basically looking to get a little more of that "Jazz bass" sound. the bass sounds really round and full with the current pickup, but for some jazz tunes, you obviously want a slightly tighter sound.

I think both of you confirm my "fear" that a piezo will contribute to the sound, but possibly not quite in the way I'm "hearing" in my head. I think piezos would be a nice experiment, but maybe not on this bass.

Maybe I should save them for my fretless? :D
  5. bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    definitely fretless, i have an Ibanez EDA, with single soap/piezo monorail bridge. i just want to take the frets out cause i know it will sound awesome, but my pzs add way too much treble at 3/4 to full knob. kinda brittle and brass like, super excellent harmonics though, id say better than bongo's. im sure a lot of my sound is the luthite body, i imagine a wood bass sounds better with piezos. if i knew it wouldnt break id rout it out for more pups, but who knows with luthite? for now i would say you should add a pup not piezos, for that j sound