Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nick man, May 9, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hi

This is my first thread, and I hope to get a good response.

I am planning the construction of an electric bass guitar, and I plan on installing a piezo pickup system, and I have a few questions.

One idea I had was to get a replacement Rickenbacker bridge and an undersadle acoustic bass style pickup and build my own saddle with the pickup built in. Since the Rick bridge has a seperate saddle part that comes out, this shouldnt be to hard to do, and if I use one of the 2 transducer systems, I should be able to slant them so that I can get correct intonation. I am really fond of the Rick bridges and the foam mute pieces. These mutes wouldn't interfere with the piezo's ability to pick up, would they?

Does anyone have any suggestions for an undersaddle Piezo? (preferably a 2 or more element system) I heard that the films are good since they dont rely on pressure.

Another idea I had was to get a premade bridge with piezo saddles (such as a Schaller, ABM, or another non piezo bridge with a F.A.A.S. piezo replacemnt saddle system), and use this as the bridge. This would be easier, although thats not a real issue to me, but it would lack the mutes I am looking for.

With whatever system I use, I would like to know if some kind of signal buffer or special preamp would be nescessary. I will probably wire it so that it can work through the EMG BTQ preamp in position 1, bypass that but still go through the same jack in position 2, and go through a separate jack to an outboard Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass preamp. This wirring is designed to maximize sound options depending on what kind of sound I want, and what the rest of my signal chain is. This wiring is flexible and may be changed depending on feedback I get from TB'ers.

Your input on any of these systems and ideas are apreciated. If anyone has had experience with any thing Ive mentioned, or anything similar, please tell me your thoughts on it.

Peace
    Nick

2. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I recently installed the FAAS piezos with their ppreamp into a fretless Essex P-clone. I've used it on one gig (last nite) and I'm going to use it on my gig tomorrow. With the TI jazz flats the FAAS with a little of the magnetic pick-up gives a hi-fi sound. The FAAS's are not very "clickly" either. All of the other piezo equipped basses I've tried have been way too "clickly" for my tastes. So far I'm happy with the results thoug I have to say that the installation was NOT a piece of cake.

3. If you want mutes, what about the bass mute? it's a little on the expensive side, but you've got 2 levels of muting available at the flip of a lever and it sticks on with doublesided tape, so no drilling in case you ever want to take it off.

that way you can get whatever piezo system you want and whatever bridge, and still get the mutes.

They're distributed by Fodera. www.fodera.com the only mention of them on the site is on the 'what's new' page. email for details, i assume.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    No one else?

Doesn't anyone else have any advice?

Peace
    Nick