1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Piezo Pre-amp + volume pot problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jack.Straw, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Jack.Straw

Jack.Straw

Jun 2, 2008
    Hello. I'm building an electric upright bass (pic below) using the circuit pictured below. Without the volume pot it sounds really good. When i introduce the volume pot the output gets reduced quite a bit. Full volume on the pot is less than half the volume of the circuit with no pot at all. Is it because i'm using a linear pot?

The circuit:
    [​IMG]

The bass:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
    -Jack

2. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    That's a fun looking bass! What are the strings made from?

Your output should be from the Drain, not the Source. By putting the pot where you have it, you are reducing the gain of the preamp by putting a resistor in parallel with R2.

So the end of C1 that you have going to the output should go to ground. The side of C2 you have going to ground should be going to the volume pot.

That should fix it. I make similar circuits as this, and R2 is the gain setting resistor.

Here's a circuit I found somewhere that has a similar layout as yours, and you can see where the two wires should swap:

Attached Files:

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Very cool-looking! Be sure to post about it over in the EUB forum too, if you haven't already. :)

4. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    I can't take any credit for that circuit... I'm not even sure what web site it came from.

But when I was looking over your circuit I wanted to double check what I thought the problem was, and found that file in with my notes on FET circuits. But it's a fairly common type of circuit.

I use a variation of that type of circuit without the volume control.

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh sorry David, I meant the EUB was cool-looking. :) Of course your circuit is cool too, and as a student EE I can appreciate the simplicity of it.

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    Oh got cha... yeah the EUB is cool. :D

His circuit is almost the same as the one I posted... it's a text book FET buffer amp.

7. Jack.Straw

Jack.Straw

Jun 2, 2008
    David, thanks!! I'll give that a try tonight. The strings are made from different gauges of weed wacker (trimmer) line :D

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021