Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zeronyne, May 20, 2005.

1. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I have an Ibanez EDA900 that has piezos under the monorail bridge(s).

At one point last year, one of the piezos started to cut out right after the attack. I took it into the shop for a setup, and I received it back with the piezo working again. The tech had no idea what could have fixed it.

So now ANOTHER piezo is out. I'd just replaced the bridge, but it's 90 bucks. MF has the whole bass for 299.00, so I'd rather fix it.

Can anyone diagnose this problem? Or at least take a guess? :)

2. Could be a loose wire, or it could be mucky between the bridge and string, thus not giving a good contact, have you tried changing the sensitivity on the piezo's ? (dials on the back)

Just out of curiosity, do you find you get alot of background hum/buzzing from the EDA even when its not being played?

3. zeronyne

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Thank for the reply. I will examine the two things you mentioned.

My EDA is dead quiet. I never really liked the piezo tone on it until a few weeks ago when I happened to solo the piezos through my U5...very nylon-sounding!

I may pickup the 5 string. How do you like yours?

4. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Finnally, people with my bass.....

I get absolutly no humming noise when I am not playing. My EDA is so quiet. Nice little bass.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The little wires that run from the piezo element can get squished. If this happens, it will cut out.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    It is possible that if the piezo has shifted or if something else has shifted to where the piezo is not getting even pressure, then you could get a loud percussive pop or thump when you pluck the string and then a very low ouput afterwards. Does it sound like what I described, or does it sound like more of an electrical problem?

If it sounds like what I described then you may just need to loosen that monorail, and then move the piezo around a little bit until you find a spot where it can get good even pressure.

7. I love mine, its just when i always get a background hum :(

happens with both my amps (even tho its the same cab, its not that ive tried it through another cab)

i dunno then, the background hum is the only thing i dont like about mine, might put a meatier magnetic pup on it tho, love the sound of the piezos for finger playing, and the sound of the mag pup with a pick, plus its really easy to play, love the thin neck!

8. zeronyne

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    You may want to check to see if the ground wire has come loose

9. Do you have a schematic for the EDA? cus i remember opening up the back and being lost

Is your shielded at all inside? all mine has is some aluminium (i think) foil on the plastic cover