1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Piezo string balance on a Precision A/E

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ric426, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I just picked up a 18 year old fretless MIJ Precision A/E with a mag pickup and under saddle piezo pickup. I've put in a DIY Cafe Walter piezo buffer that helps out the piezo low end tremendously, but it's still got a weak sounding G string. I pulled the saddle and someone had shimmed it with a couple of paper strips, which to me doesn't seem like the best material for that. I've don't mind making a new saddle and have a suitable piece of bone saddle material for it, but I'm wondering if there are some saddle construction tips or tricks that might help bring up the G string level. A friend has a similar A/E that has a split saddle, but he says his is kind of weak on the G string too. I was wondering if it'd make sense to have separate saddle pieces for each string or it that'd cause other problems. I've seen acoustic guitar saddles that were cut from the bottom edge up to about halfway, between each string. Would that help or is that done for another reason?

2. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Mods please delete this thread. I guess saddle questions belong in the Setup & Repair forum and I'm not able to delete this one.