Piezo Switch/Piezo Volume

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Jan 21, 2006.

1. OK, if you were to have a piezo bridge pickup, would you have to include a Piezo switch and a volume know? Just one of them? What?

P.S. Does anyone know of a two piece bridge, like an Alembic or a Warwick with Piezo saddles? Or any company that makes saddles in this style?

100th POST!!!! Yay for me...
  2. Come on, I'm not one to bump, but it was my 100th post, and i know some of you know the answer...
  3. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You can wire the piezo pretty much however you want. You could have a switch or a separate piezo volume (that's what I have) or both. You could run stereo or mono (blended) or have a switch (or automatic switching) to let you go back and forth.

One this is for certain, though: it's extremely advisable to have an onboard buffer for the piezo pickups. This could be as simple as a JFET source follower (something you could build yourself, even with very little experience), or it could be a full-fledged commercial product. It just depends on your needs. Without a buffer the only thing you can do is run stereo (no blending), and the sound quality will almost certainly suffer. I've used JFET buffers in the past with very good results. I also just got a Graphtech preamp, and its flexibility is very impressive.

Sorry, but I can't help much with the bridge. Did you check ABM already? ETS might be worth a look, too.
  4. Thanks for the help. The thing with the Preamp is that I'm hoping to have a custom one made for a bass (the one i posted a few weeks ago was a poor mock-up made awhile back, much better planned out now). So I was just wondering how I should have it wired. I'll be sure to have a buffer installed on that, because I will want the blending.

As far as the bridge goes, that was just a hope. I love the two piece bridges, because you have so many ways to set your bass up, to get the feel right, but I've never seen one with piezo saddles. I may have to have saddles custom made (jesus, don't want to imagine those costs....) or I may have to settle with a one piece solid bridge. We'll see what the future holds....