Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo - What and Why

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jimmyb, May 14, 2005.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb An Avid Indoorsman Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Just bought an upper end Ibenez BTB and was supprised to find that along with the barts there are 5 piezo's under the bridge. Since I've never owned a bass with them and don't know much about them, I ask you TB'ers. What do they do? waht are the benfits? What are their characteristics?
    Please Help

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    My coming Benavente will have piezo pickups.
    The benefit of piezo is the characteristic, which is the sound. Listen to this JP Zia bass with only piezo pickups:
    http://plumezia.free.fr/No Dream Last Night.mp3
    It has a rather acoustic quality to it, no?
    Some people like it, some don't. I do.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

piezo's add a hollow, trebly, percussive quality to tone. Useful or not depending on what you want.

My introduction to peizo was having the peizo on, the bass plugged in, amp on low volume, and tightening the truss rod cover screws while a cd was playing. I kept hearing this faint squeak. I'd stop to listen, nothing. Did that several times and it dawned on me the squeak coincided with turning the screw. So I cut the CD off and sure enough, the amp was putting out the screw tightening.

With piezo on you can literally tap all over the bass and get varying tabla like tones depending on the density of the wood where you tap.

4. Ive got piezos on my EDA, add a nice clean clear, pretty high end heavy sound (my btb is just a cheapy by comparison to yours, stil gorgeous tho ;) )

One thing tho, never use piezos with a pick, sounds horrible and scratchy, unless thats what you want

5. If you like the acoustic sound of your bass but don't want it any brighter, would piezos be the way to go? (blended in withanother pickup).