Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Do you guys think that it is worth having a piezo on a fretted bass?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not on a fretted solid body. They're usually too bright. They sound much better on hollow-body instruments.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i like the sound of piezos on my fretted basses - sounds a bit like a classical guitar.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Carvin does. Their new catalog offers piezos as an option on their fretted basses. I'm sure they did some market research to see if there is a demand for such a setup.
  5. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I recently bought a MusicMan Sterling (fretted) with the piezo. It adds more lows, but the treble is harsh. I really haven't found much use for the piezo on stage..its been more of a toy to play with at home. Luckily, a pan knob allows me to dial the piezo in/out. I wouldn't count on it to give you that radical revelation that marketing hype typically generates. As for fretted vs frettless, the piezo adds a bit of the character a frettless typically has...smooth whah as it seems to be termed. Don't know that you would necessarily gain anything by adding piezo to a frettless.