Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Piezo

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jazzin', Feb 5, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Can somebody explain to me how peizo pickups work? I really don't understand the physics behind it. I searched the forums and looked in the FAQ, I couldn't find any answers. Seems like this question has never been asked, which irks me.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Cool.:cool:

3. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is an accurate (or somewhat so), and simpler definition. I think it is certain crystals embedded in bridge saddles, that are able to pickup the true acoustic sound of a plucked string, bases upon the vibrations of the string pressed against the saddle. It dosent require magnetic enhancements, like with pickups, but rather based upon the natural vibration of the string. If I'm incorrect, i apologize, but I'm kinda sure thats right.

4. when pressure is applied to the crystals in a piezoelectric system, the crystal is squeezed. when the crystal is squeezed, due to the structure of the molecule, one atom will 'switch sides' so to speak to the other side of the crystalline structure. when this 'atom flipping' takes place, a voltage is produced in the crystal.

on piezo pickups, the crystals are situated directly underneath the bridge saddles. when the string vibrates, this causes the crystals to be compressed and uncompressed in accordance with the string vibrations. the electronics then pickup the voltage vibrations as sound.