Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basslax, Nov 28, 2001.

1. do piezos pickup the vibration of the bass or that of the strings??

if it pickups the bass', could i just put them under the pickguard and get the same sound??
  2. The downward pressure of the strings.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Piezo pickups need to be squeezed, and to have the pressure they are squeezed at change. So typically they are placed under the bridge saddles, where the vibration of the strings is transmitted through them into the bridge. You don't get anything out of a piezo by shaking it, which is all that attaching it on the body somewhere would do. Unless you put it in another stressed area like the neck joint, but I think that would be hard to do without crunching them (I don't think they like to be squeezed that much! :) ). Not to mention, wires coming out of your neck joint would be funny.
  4. i have the round piezos found on URBs and they sound ok when i tried them under the pickguard..i wanted to hide them cus i had to tape them where ever i decided to put them. any other places for this type?
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm not too familiar with URB pickups. How do they normally attach to an upright? Unless they go between the strings and the bridge, then they aren't piezos, they are some sort of microphone. Well, I could be wrong. And it doesn't matter, I guess, if they sound OK under the pickguard?
  6. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I remember reading that Michael Manring keeps some little Piezos around while recording. He metioned putting them on the headstock, different spots on the body, etc. The Piezo pickups I've built seem to work anywhere, as long as they are in contact with something and are under some pressure (taping them down works).