Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

piezo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by basslax, Nov 30, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    what is the best way to attach a piezo pickup to a bridge? i have two of the circle things (sorry i dont know the name) and tape isnt working out :D .

thanks
    basslax

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Is it a Fishman PU? Anyway, if it is two disks, you could use the Fishman steel clips. You can get them from Lemur www.lemurmusic.com.

The KK systems use two-sided adhesive tape (from 3M, I think), it works well. Maybe Bob (all hail) Gollihur could specify the type.

Make sure the bridge surface is level where you mount the disks. The easiest is to mount them on the flat side (tailpiece side) of the bridge.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've never seen the stuff K&K uses commercially available, but key is to use something that is very thin. There are carpet tapes out there that are real thin; the most important thing is to have the closest and firmest contact with the bridge, with nothing to dampen the transducer's connection to it. The clay-like material used in the past with other transducers is also a possibility, but usually used when put on an instrument body where a traditional adhesive is undesirable; I recommend Mortite, a common caulk material at any hardware store.

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC

i need something temporoary though...does that come off

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Mortite and similar clays were used especially when the transducer needed to be placed on an instrument body that the user didn't want to mark.

If you're putting something on a bridge, it doesn't matter much what you use. One word: Sandpaper

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Hey Bob, check your private messages please :)