Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pig EP-1 Users? Pedalboard Setup?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mksolid, Feb 8, 2006.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    To all you cats who have the Pigtronix EP-1.. how do you guys set it up for live performances? How do you deal with the wall wart and enormous size of the pedal? I have one but have not figured out a good method for powering it/securing it in a live setting. I can't opt for anything else because this thing is probably the smoothest envelope I've heard aside from the spicy meatball.

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I just plug the power adapter into a strip along w/ my pedal power 2 or Onespot or whatever. The pedal is really not that big for what it does (turn a Mutron on it's side or a big EH pedal for comparison). It's my favorite too...can't justify shelling out the big cash for a Meatball again when the Piggy does it all - and it's easier to adjust. I think I'm going to go for that Marv mod soon :bassist:

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I just place mine on the stage(floor)and plug in into a power strip and thats it.

4. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    what mod do you speak of?

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  6. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I have the switch. Its pretty good but not AS wild as I hoped for. Maybe I need to get the expression pedal too so I can control the phaser? heh.

7. I'm actually wrestling with the EP-1 question myself as I do some pedalboard shopping. Between the EP-1 and my bass micro synth, I burn through a lot of room. As it stands, I run a surge protector out from from my furman in my rig, and plug all my pedals through that.

8. The Marv mod really takes the Pig over the top.

If you're using other pedals - distortion, etc. - best way to rig the pig is to split your signal first, run a clean line into the trigger-in and the other through your other pedals, then into your audio input. That way you get the clean dynamics triggering the envelope on the effected signal. If you're using passive pups, a bit of a signal boost helps on the trigger line as well.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Will it work if you just put the pig first in your signal chain instead of going through the trouble of splitting your signal?

10. Sure it'll work, but the real test is if you like the way it sounds or not. We played around with just about every concievable pedal ordering and this is the one I like the best, but it's really a matter of taste.

In most cases bass rigs are not that complex so the effects generally won't modify the signal that much allowing you ignore the trigger-input altogether if you wish [but it defeats one of the coolest parts of the pedal]. If you're using delays, distortions, or anything that radically changes they pure waveform, the signal triggering the envelope will get muddy causing a less well defined hit and a mushier EF sound.

Dave and I played with quite a few different setups when we were prototyping the EP-1 and the best bass setup was to split the signal as I described above - run the trigger to an A/B box with the other source being a signal from the drums. This could be a mic on the kick or a feed directly a drum machine. If you go for an A/B/C box, you can also add a mic so you can use vocals [ala Frampton] to trigger the Pig. This gives you instant switching between pure guitar dynamics, drum or vocals and the widest pallete of effects. No other EF comes even close to what you can get out of this thing.

And the Marv switch rules!