1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pig in a poke

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeffbrown, Oct 26, 2013.

1. So the other day I was in GC and saw a used Behringer OD pedal (no raspberries, please - yes, it's noisy...). The price was REALLY cheap (yes, I know...) so just for fun, I dropped the dime.

It didn't have the AC to 9v adapter, but I figured since I had a handful of them at home, I could probably use one of them.

I checked the specs on the first couple, and I saw they were rated for 350 mA; the pedal calls for 100 mA. I thought I'd log on and ask the assemblage here if that would still work.

THEN, just because I sometimes am a stickler for details, I checked the plug polarity.

Guess what? The pin for all my adapters is positive, the sleeve is negative. The pedal is the reverse. Great.

It works with a battery. So, two questions: 1) Is it advisable to run a 100mA device with a 350mA converter? Although I am not an electrical expert, I can operate a soldering iron without burning down the house, so 2) Is it feasible/possible/worth it to try to reverse the leads on the converter to switch the polarity?? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the factory item? :help:

2. The adapter can put out 350 mA. The pedal only needs 100 mA. That is fine, the pedal will only draw the current it needs.

The great majority of pedals out there right now have the barrel connector with the center negative and the sleeve positive, including every Behringer I've ever seen.