pignose g40V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 27, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so - MF has these pignose 40 watt all tube guitar amp deals for $199 bucks.

it's got two 6L6's, 3 12ax7's, and a 10" speaker.

for $199 bucks, i wouldn't have a problem modifying it a little.

so - would there be a way to make it suitable for bass gigs? like - putting a bass speaker in there? raising the output? would anything like that hurt it's ability as a guitar amp?

am i out of my mind?

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Nothin' except for the fact that it only puts out 40 watts. IME, thats not nearly enough to drive a bass speaker to make it sound decent. Just my opinion.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Thought I would raise this thread from the archives.

Saturday I bought myself a secondhand G40V to use as an all purpose practice amp. I tried it in the shop with a Strat style guitar. I noticed that it has speaker jacks and isnt hardwired so I thought I would run it with an old 1x15 cab until I could decide on a speaker.

I got it home and decided to try a bass with it using the internal speaker. So I plugged in my Stingray with the volumes just over a 1/4 and was rewarded with some wonderfully clear bass sounds. Oh yeah! So on a roll I plugged in my Strat. It buzzed it hummed it was harsh. So after 4 hours of tweaking and changing out the 12AX7's (setteled on 3 Sovtek WB's). Ive got it running for guitar as well as it did for bass (ironic).

I had another play in the 'studio' with the SR5 (yes it handles the B) and am really please with it. When you consider that I was about to pull the trigger on a SS hartke practice amp for the same money I'm dead chuffed.

Jason I will take it to church tonight and try it with some bass cabs and the loudest drummer in the universe.

I tried it with my Hartke 4x10 and its fairly loud but it will not compete with a drummer without PA assistance. With the internal speaker it's overdriving which is ok if you like that sort of thing.

As a practice amp its fine.