Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pignose Hog 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Anybody's got experience with these ?
    I'm considering one as a home practise tool and for general outdoor fun.
    [​IMG]

2. hi JA, I have one that I use at my pals cottage. Usually it is a couple of acoustic guitars, (way too many) singers and me on bass using the HOG30. I think for what it is and the cost, it is great because I get to play bass in areas that I would not normally be able to do. The battery lasts and lasts, so that is a great feature. The tone is not great but I quickly got used to it, as it is only a 30watt 8" speaker. I would like to try the other battery amps out there, but this one works and I am happy with it. :bassist:
    If you can, try one out and hear for yourself as you may not like the tone, although others will.

ciao

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I had one. The battery finally died on me. It's good for very light acoustic like outdoor fun. Good for practicing as well. Not giggable at all, IMO. Pros: it's portable, fully charged battery will go for several hours at moderate volume. Cons: Not quite loud enough, battery not rechargeable after so many charges.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy

Feb 21, 2006
    Got to agree and disagree with DWBass...
    I've played a lot of very low volume "background music" gigs over the years and I've played maybe 1/2 dozen gigs with the Hog30.
    (Luckily, with a sympathetic drummer.) The amp is no big deal by itself, but with a Sansamp BDDI in front, it's much improved. A bargain IMO.
    Might go without saying, but set it on the ground, not on a chair. It makes a considerable difference in low end when using such a small amp. FYI, the amp contains 2 motorcycle batteries. I replaced my original set with batteries from "Batteries Plus" and they have lasted considerably longer than the original set.