Pignose Hog 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Anybody's got experience with these ?
    I'm considering one as a home practise tool and for general outdoor fun.
  2. hi JA, I have one that I use at my pals cottage. Usually it is a couple of acoustic guitars, (way too many) singers and me on bass using the HOG30. I think for what it is and the cost, it is great because I get to play bass in areas that I would not normally be able to do. The battery lasts and lasts, so that is a great feature. The tone is not great but I quickly got used to it, as it is only a 30watt 8" speaker. I would like to try the other battery amps out there, but this one works and I am happy with it. :bassist:
    If you can, try one out and hear for yourself as you may not like the tone, although others will.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I had one. The battery finally died on me. It's good for very light acoustic like outdoor fun. Good for practicing as well. Not giggable at all, IMO. Pros: it's portable, fully charged battery will go for several hours at moderate volume. Cons: Not quite loud enough, battery not rechargeable after so many charges.
  4. Jonesy

Feb 21, 2006
    Got to agree and disagree with DWBass...
    I've played a lot of very low volume "background music" gigs over the years and I've played maybe 1/2 dozen gigs with the Hog30.
    (Luckily, with a sympathetic drummer.) The amp is no big deal by itself, but with a Sansamp BDDI in front, it's much improved. A bargain IMO.
    Might go without saying, but set it on the ground, not on a chair. It makes a considerable difference in low end when using such a small amp. FYI, the amp contains 2 motorcycle batteries. I replaced my original set with batteries from "Batteries Plus" and they have lasted considerably longer than the original set.