1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pigs in Envelopes and Chunky Dogs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DosiYanarchy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. so i just got a new toy:

Chunk Systems Brown Dog, for such an incredible price im suprised the seller didnt refuse my payment when the bidding ended.

Ok I already have a MXR Blowtorch which already does synthy , almost-gated fuzz sound, but I couldnt resist the Brown Dog, i've always wanted one but didnt want to pay the £300 they wanted in Denmark Street for it.

so i had been experimenting with running the clean output from the blowtorch into my Pigtronix EP1 Envelope Phaser's Trigger input and the regular output into the EP1's input (so the envelope section tracks your clean playing and doesnt freak out with the distortion)- it kinda sounded too harsh didnt really dig it.

so i think 'gee, doesnt the Brown Dog have an envelope output that your meant to connect to the Agent 00Funk? I wonder what happens if you connect it to the EP1's Trigger input?'

super-fun-time number one, thats what happens.

i did a clip of the EP1 with my Prunes and custard yesterday, but sod that im not even gonna upload that.

Clips of the PigDog to follow.

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hmm, sounds neat!

Synthy?

3. ill let you judge for yourself, ill get a clip done after i've watched the new southpark

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    priorities, dude!

could'nt you have made a clip before you posted this? you're a big tease aren't you!

5. OK OK! its comming!

one issue i've noticed and you will to:

Gate control + envelope filter = not so awesome - obviously with higher gate settings on the the Dog, it negated the gentler playing that i was doing to show the dynamics of the filter

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    dangit i want a brown dog. Mommy! Can I keep it?

7. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7462167

ok, its not particularly well played, but hell ive had the dog for a grand total of 3hrs now and im still getting used to it. - ill do a better demo, and maybe even a whole song with it when im ready

This isnt just a clip of the EP1 and the Brown Dog by the way, heres the setup:

Bass -> oc2 ->Dog -> Pig -> EHX stereo clone theory -> BBE Opto Stomp -> VTbass -> computer.

Clip starts clean, then with the Dog, then With the Pig, then the OC2 then the Chorus (gives the craziest harmonic clanging)

Vtbass and optostomp are always on

8. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7462221

oh just for the hell of it, heres the Pig with the Prunes and custard ( prunes into EP1 with clean tone into trigger input)

the thing that i liked about this is that i switch between the Envelope filter and the LFO in the same riff and give it like a stereotypical dubstep-style 'wub-wub-wub' sound

9. merlinaz

merlinaz

Apr 6, 2008
    Germany
    yeah! really dig it. especially the one with p&c. is it lfo'd or do you pluck the strings? sounds awesome!

merten

10. merlinaz

merlinaz

Apr 6, 2008
    Germany
    didn't read your post properly...yes it's lfo'd...:rolleyes:

11. with the Dog its all envelope (so plucking)

with the Prunes, at 1.15 i switch from the envelope to the LFO. then the riff that follows is envelope followed by the LFO for the 'wah wah wah' sound.

FYI, the EP1 has some separate and some shared controls for both the LFO and the Envelope sections - but one stomp switch to switch between the two settings. It has a separate on/off switch (and another switch that in one setting ADDS the phase to the signal and in the other it Subtracts it)

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    sounds cool but how are we supposed to tell what the dog/pig sound like with all those other pedals?

13. Im loving the EP1 and having more fun with it every day, but the thing is massive (almost 3x boss pedals) and trying to get volume balances between Clean/Fuzz/Ep1clean/EP1fuzz is quite tricky

14. from 0:29 - 1:21 is the pig and the dog (but into the VTbass and compressor)

I will do a better demo when i've got more time/talent.

I wanna do a shootout between the Blowtorch and the Brown Dog for Synthy Fuzz. I also wanna do some straight clips of the EP1 and the brown dog individually.

I havent actually played the brown dog through my amp yet, and of course the way i have my VTbass set up will colour the tone of the pedals I use, but then again this isnt really meant to be truly representative demos either.
    Everyones gear is different, so its always hard to judge, its like i love Grygryx's stuff on Bassfuzz.com, but obviously his demos have fuzzes DI'd to his mixer into his computer, not using my bass and amp, so i wont really know what those pedals sound like when im using them until i use them (still read the reviews and watch the vids there tho - its useful, well informed stuff)

15. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Your playin is more than good enough for pedal demos. I just got frustrated by your posting the thread before you had clips.

Thanks!

16. LOL i know, I was so keen to tell everybody that I liked the combo that I risked the classic:

'no clips, no pedals' comment

gotta work on setting up the noisegate on the dog though, its both a blessing and a curse