Pigs Must Be Flying...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    ...because for the first time in a long time, I can actually buy a boutique bass, but frankly, I think I am loving a big bank account more than the idea of fancy bass!:D

I can't say I won't get something, but I have had the new gear rush before, and I don't need to get something just to say I got something.

2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I hear you, Doc! I try not to make my life all about money; to quote Jim Morrison in The Changeling:
    "I've been uptown/ I've been downtown/ But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town."
    But when you've been fairly broke and then get some gold, the most beautiful music can be the sound of those coins jangling together in your pocket.

One of the best things about having a little dough is being able to take a break from worrying about money.

3. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    How is your amp? :)

TinIndian, TakisK, RichSnyder and 3 others like this.
  4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Good times, Great gear, Congrats!

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Jim, I love my combo, and it's all I need.;)

6. Great to hear 2015 is starting well for you Doc.

Long may it continue.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I will confess that a Cirrus five is a possibility, especially if I can sell or trade something, and keep the price relatively. As for boutiques, they are like sexy models that are fun to see, but I am at piece knowing i don't run in those circles.

8. I'm in the lucky/unlucky (depending on your viewpoint!) position of being a professional musician, so my basses are tax deductible - because of course, I really need them! ;)

Anyway, what do you reeeaally want? Basses are lovely and having money is overrated. Trust me, I'm a musician ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  9. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

audreycashin likes this.
  10. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Hey Doc! You NEED a Valenti! ;)

TonyP- likes this.
  11. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Alembic series II, will barely dent any bank account.....

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I like my savings account and my basses so nothing fancy for me either.

13. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Funny you should bring this up, Doc. I'm coming to terms this week with, how many more do I need to buy and sell anyway ? Time for some more quality time with fewer, I'm seeing. I just made a sale, and I'm thinking maybe I'll get something non-musical. that's a first. ( Or maybe not... )

Hertz likes this.
  14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

A full bank account is nice. You know my struggles over the years, but I am fairly at piece with my decision to keep the bass I love (Roscoe Century 5) and even order a 2nd (fretless Roscoe Century 5) to complete my "cover any gig" pair of 5er's. Since making this decision, I rarely look at the classifieds any more. I know I'll have a pair of basses that will work for me and my gigs. I'm happy, my wife loves them as well and wants me to play what I like, not what I want to force myself to afford or that'll be "good enough" so I'm trying to just play now.

Buy one or don't, but you won't regret having a beautiful instrument to play.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Same here, just checking :)

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad you're happy, Steve. There is no universal formula. I am happy where I am, you are too.

17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I like counting money more than I like counting basses. But that's because I am now in the home stretch towards retirement from my day job. When I was young I did not have that perspective.

Jake72, SirMjac28 and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  18. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    right on cheese! just how big is the account? hahah j/k good for you my man. weigh things out,
    you'll do the right thing weather to spend or save. if you get something though, post it up.

19. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    This somehow reminds me of the famous comedian who asked, "If money isn't everything...how come everything costs money?"

M. M. :)

20. And in response... "Life on Earth may be expensive, but at least you get a free annual trip around the Sun!"

Hertz and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021