1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pigtronix Fat Drive vs. Blackstone S2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by newbold, Aug 15, 2012.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Both are touch sensitive multi-stage overdrive pedals.

Has anyone been able to compare them on sound, functionality, and interactivity with a passive bass (rolling off volume pots)?

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have. I would recommend the Pigtronix Fat Drive. I own this pedal and it sounds really good on bass. Tonally I would describe it as in the Tubescreamer family but it has great bass.

The Blackstone is kind of a mythical pedal in my book. The guitarist that I play with has one and I did test it on bass. It's a great sounding pedal but it is not designed for bass. I don't want to put word in the mouth of the guy who designed it but I believe he does not recommend it for bass. It chops a lot of bass frequencies. That being said if you are running two amps and have a dirty channel that might be a great pedal to experiment with. If it is not the case stick with the Fat Drive. If my memory serves me right, note this pedal does not take batteries just ouside power supply.

Both of them are great with passive bass.

3. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    While I can't speak for the blackstone, I own a fat drive and love it!! It is very responsive to your input. Not a huge fan of it with an active bass, even with the 18v adapter. It has been kicked off the main board for now, but is sticking around for a while, maybe making an apperance on my new project...an easily portable board lol.