Pigtronix Germanium Gold Compressor Micro Effects Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Clark W, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    So yesterday's Musician Friend's Stupid Deal Of the Day was this pedal. It normally sells for around $135, was on sale for $57, but after applying my rewards I got it for $46 and change, it'll be here on Monday.

I figure if it doesn't work decent on bass I can keep it in my arsenal of recording gear for the guitarist who shows up without a compressor. I already have a Keeley Compressor Plus, another guitar compressor that works just fine with my passive basses. It's actually a great compressor for my passive basses, doesn't like my active Ibby all that much though.

Philosopher's Tone Germanium Gold - Pigtronix

"Philosopher’s Tone Germanium Gold is a variation on the original Philosopher's Tone, featuring the same optical sustain engine with the addition of an optional layer of germanium-enhanced distortion. The unique diode arrangement found in the Philosopher's Tone Germanium Gold delivers a smooth top end and rich midrange response, tailored to match the characteristics of the optical sustainer driving it. The clean side of the Philosopher’s Tone remains the same—dial in your Blend and Volume to get your desired signal, and Sustain for compression. What defines Germanium Gold is the Grit control. More than a simple gain knob, Grit acts as a blend for the supreme germanium-enhanced distortion folded into the unit."

Philosophers_Tone.png

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    BrentSimons likes this.
  2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I’m very fond of my Philosophers Gold Germanium. I don’t use the grit at all, nor do I use it as an always on, transparent clean comp. It does have a wonderful big squishy bloomy sustain that is perfect for some applications. Like following a spikey, speaker destroying, envelope filter such as the Fwonkbeta or the DOD FX25B.

BrentSimons and Clark W like this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022