1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pigtronix Mothership 2 Analog Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TrevorG, Mar 22, 2018.

1. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Anybody own one? Sounds right up my street if not too good to be true. What do you think and how much did you pay?

2. It's got some good sounds in it for sure, but it takes some getting used to.
    Some sort of filter (flanger / detune / envelope) helps to bring out its best.

I think the sub-octave might be two octaves down. I'm not completely sure.
    I recommend running the sub-octave out to its own sub-woofer if you can.

A couple of us wrote some stuff when it first came out :
    Pigtronix Mothership 2

To be honest, it's been sitting in its box while I try out some other octave / synth pedals.
    I'll probably take it out and play with it a bit more before I decide whether to keep it.

Might be up for a swap -> PM me.

TrevorG likes this.
  3. TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Will do. Many thanks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  4. TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Had an after thought... I already own the EHX pitch fork and like it a lot. Have you tried it and which do you prefer? I know they're different pedals but some aspects over lap...

5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Totally different pedals. The pitchfork can provide some pseudo-organ like tones by adding certain pitch intervals but it’s not a synth pedal by any stretch of the imagination.

I tried the Pigtronix in the store and while it seemed cool enough, I think I prefer the Bananana mini-synth, the Panda Audio Future Impact and the combination of Broughton Synth Voice -> JoshWah more.

TrevorG likes this.
  6. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Have any of you guys A/B'd the PM2 with the Iron Ether FMeron?

7. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I don’t see how the FMeron and the Mothership are comparable:
    Pigtronix is analog, subtractive synthesis based.
    FMeron is unashamedly digital, doing FM synthesis.

8. Don't know about either the Pitchfork or FMeron, but I can say that it's very different from the HOG, which is smooth and polyphonic and can give you some very organ-like sounds.

The mothership2 by contrast is raw, jagged and monophonic.
    I like it in non-sync slightly-de-tuned mode. With clean blend it adds some nice depth.

9. I played with this some more and decided the detuned-fifth mode really makes my ears prick up and sets this apart from other synths I've been playing with. Definitely a keeper, although bass tracking still leaves something to be desired so I mostly use it with guitar.

cosmicevan likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021