1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pigtronix Mothership 2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OhulahanBass, Jul 17, 2017.

1. After a second round with the MS2 I'm warming to it.

This time I connected SRC6 -> philosophers tone with heavy squash and treble at min -> MS2.
    Tracking was much improved and I was able to play with either pickup and with flat EQ.

It tracks pretty well down to low guitar E (82 Hz) but not much below,
    reinforcing my impression that it has limited usefulness for bass.
    In the low register it tends to skip up an octave.

It does have a broad range of synthetic tones with interesting tweakable variety.

What I enjoyed most was running it through both Wonderlove and pigtronix EP2.
    WL configured with sweep up and EP2 with sweep down.
    SRC6 -> WL input and also -> EP2 trigger input using Y-cable.
    WL send -> PT -> MS2 -> WL receive.
    WL out -> EP2 -> M76 limiter -> cheap guitar amp.

All that stuff produces some awesome synthetic weirdness.
    Even with mistracking in the low octave it sounds pretty good to me.
    YMMV of course.

Regarding the sub output, the instructions point out that it's very low frequency and needs an amp with good low-end response which I can't provide at the moment. I'm willing to reserve judgement until I'm back with my home system.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I came home from rehearsal with the MS2, haven’t had a chance to mess around with it until now. As you can see, it’s a diminutive pedal... but it’s got some big sounds. Without looking at the manual, I was able to fairly quickly dial in some thick, juicy synth tones. It loved being fed into the Microtron, Xero and Polytope. I’m think I will probably have to get one to play with for a while and learn it’s depths... I have to return it at the next rehearsal.

C1530B35-55C0-4655-B3C1-7199A0E2C60B.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  3. A few more observations about tracking :
    The MS2 has synchronized and non-synchronized modes.
    With sync enabled it tracks pitch exactly.
    With sync disabled you can pitch shift using the tune knob.
    Apparently you can also do whammy-like pitch shift with an expression pedal but I haven't tried that yet.
    As far as I can tell, the octave:manual:unison switch controls a divide by 2:3:4 (non-sync only).

Sync mode tracking only gets down to about E2 (82Hz), but in non-sync mode it's pretty good down to E1 (possibly lower, but that's all I've tried).

It's a bit glitchy on note attack and sounds much smoother with an envelope filter.

@MattDean - I'm interested to hear if your observations are similar ?

4. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Nice pedal board. What is that on the bottom left of the board? Also, did you try the mothership with your T16?

5. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    This pedal is hard to come by. I pre-ordered on Sweetwater weeks ago, was told they would have some this week, and just got an email saying shipment has been delayed until "after Christmas?" Hhmmmm....

6. Andyroo721

Andyroo721

Apr 25, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I finally got mine from Sweetwater the other day... I am still messing with it and trying things out. I am liking it so far. My synth experience is minimal having only used the EHX Bass Microsynth in the past. One thing I noticed is that there are no suggested sample settings like many companies provide with manuals (not a terrible thing). I noticed trolling around nobody (at least that I could find) had offered any thoughts on settings in reviews. That said, I am going to keep track of settings I find that I like. I created an Excel doc to keep track of ones I really dig. Thought I'd share the doc with you guys in the advent someone else is like me and needs organization. Not sure if anyone would be interested in a thread to share settings, but maybe it could happen? Thoughts?

upload_2018-1-11_17-23-22.png

Attached Files:

NOVAX, Admiral Akbar, Rojd and 2 others like this.
  7. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Just heard about this today when I saw a short clip on Juan Alderete’s instagram.

I wonder how close to a Moog Taurus this can get? can anyone who’s had experience with this chime in?

8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Interested, though my pedal budget is pretty tight at the moment. So I'd love to hear some more opinions.

9. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    bumping this, especially looking for comparisons to the superego+

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021