1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pigtronix: Phi Echolution delayed & the Attack Sustain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swimming Bird, May 31, 2007.

1. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I was in NYC this last weekend and got the scoop on what going on with our beloved Pigtronix.

Phi Echolution: The Phi Echolution has been delayed because the initial order was accidentally painted pink so they had to be redone. Saddly, no rare pink release, just accross the board delays. Everyone who I talked to who saw Koltai demo it said it was amazing, but who knows when they'll actually ship to our area.

Attack Sustain: 30th Street Guitars in Manhattan has them. They're very cool, but little more than an updated Attack Decay/Slow Gear/Slow Volume. It tracks better than anything I've played and the sustain bit is cool, but not that cool. It's still envelope based, so it isn't a reverse tape delay type of effect (which is what I thought they might have meant on their page). The sustain function lets your note ring at full volume pretty much as long as there's any sort of signal coming from the string, but definately does not resemble an ebow like the Pigtronix page suggested. It also has upper harmonics which can be added in, but this amounts to distortion and gets closer to the ebow-overdriving-your-preamp sound. In any case, it was interesting, but it is just a redesign of the EHX Attack Decay (with the help of the original designer), so there's nothing revolutionary here -- I'll stick with my ebow.

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    cool thanks for the update and review.

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Thanks, I've been itching to try out that Attack Sustain. So is it twice as good as a Slow Gear or Lazy Sprocket?

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Twice as good...? Certainly not much more useful, but very well executed.

It's basically like every other Pigtronix pedal -- take two or three tried and true concepts, do them well then stick them in the same pedal. In this case it's essentially a combo of a envelope volume swell and a compressor.

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Hmm, maybe I should save my money and get the Lazy Sprocket. Thanks.

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hmmm... Attack Sustain GAS evaporating....

Well, I'll still have to try one out eventually, but at least now I know I don't have to be first in line for a brand new one. ;) Thanks for the info.

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hell, I still want an ASDR. It'll take care of my swell GAS and my "effect pedal" compressor GAS. So nya!

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Yeah, trying it out was a sort of GAS-x experience. When they said that it used synthesis to sustain a note, I thought it meant it basically had a hold function, but alas. Well, Pigtronix does modify their pedals for custom orders, perhaps Koltai would make an ASDR with a momentary switch hold function or some such.

9. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    That would mean they'd have to build in Sample and Hold circuitry, though. That's a different pedal all together. :meh:

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Not necessarily. All they'd need is to allow the decay/sustain function to go to infinite and add a manual cut-off for it. Since it synthesizes the note anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to keep it going.

11. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh, ok. From the sound of it, I didn't realize there was actual synthesis going on.

12. drkam6

drkam6

Jun 18, 2007
    Swimming Bird,

I was also expecting the Pigtronix Attack Sustain to become a "polyphonic Ebow" pedal-based. I have not tried it out yet; however it seems to me, as you mentioned, that it's only an advanced compressor... Would your suggestion of adding an S&H still work if it's a compressor? I thought S&H's worked only with voltage.

drkam6

13. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, any sort of electrical/audio signal can be converted to or from voltage. And the most usual use for S&H in synthesis is to take "random" frequencies from a white or pink noise signal and convert them into "random" amounts of resistance.

14. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't think they claim it sustains like an ebow. They just say ebow users will like it, probably because it works well with the ebow, not as a substitute for it.

15. Rolle2k

Rolle2k

Feb 7, 2007
    Luleå, Sweden
    anyone got samples for the "Attack Sustain" pedal?

16. Thunder Tone

Thunder Tone

Jul 30, 2004
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021