1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pigtronix users

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LowMiller, Aug 13, 2007.

1. LowMiller

LowMiller

Feb 5, 2007
    What up everyone. just seeing who here uses Pigtronix pedals and what sounds good respectively with your type of playing style/music? i'm looking at the envelope filter and maybe the disnortion. any personal feedback would be awesome.

2. Yeah... I have the EP-1. It's a very very good envelope filter (and phaser... it's supposed to be a phaser first i think...). But I just score myself a Meatball so the EP-1 need to make way.

But comparing the two although the EP-1 doesn't have the flexibility and range it certainly has one of the thickest and natural sounding envelope filter, plus you can get many mods from dave.

cheerz

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I had the Disnortion, and I made a big thread with lots of soundclips and discussion a while back. The short version: the Octava = useless for "normal" music (very harsh and weird); the Fuzz is very stoner fuzzy, smooth and creamy, not like a Muff; the Overdrive is very transparent and more subtle than distortiony, very much like a real tube preamp. The fuzz and OD complement each other very well, but it mostly stays in stoner/blues land, not metal/punk land. The switches had an annoying "pop" when switched, and there was a somewhat high amount of hiss when engaged. But otherwise the fuzz + OD tones were awesome, and very organic.

4. I had the Disnortion first. I thought the Fuzz was great, had searing settings and some smooth ones. Some very harsh almost. But the harsher settings were complimented by the the beefy overdrive which alone sounds kinda, well, like a mild overdrive. The fuzz octave is cool for above the 12th fret action. It makes everything you do very loud and cutting. A great pedal for rock/metal and everthing in between. Even if just for a boost. The EP-1 is like the thickest juicest thing I have owned, if sounds can be that drippy and thick. It send a HOT signal and its controls are best used in moderation. With and expression pedal and in chain with the clean trigger of the Disnortion, you create a massive ranges of LOUD sounds. Id rather have to turn down my effects then wish they would be louder and these pedals deliver with tone to spare. I dont like the click of the pedals though. It only really bothers me if I use a delay post effects for obvious reasons. Note this may also mean this isnt the set of pedals for a cafe gig....for the most part.

5. hmmm, i've been checking into the disnortion and it just keeps looking better.

6. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I own both and really like them alot. I have not experienced the clicking or popping others are describing. I've only had mine for about 3 weeks though so maybe I have a newer, improved generation of each. I really like the EP-1, it is the most liquidy sounding envelope I have tried (and I've tried virutally all of them except for the Meatball). The Disnortion is about the fuzz and OD sounds I like and would ever need to use. I honestly rarely use effects at all. The only effect that goes with me on every gig is my multicomp. I like these boxes a lot and wish I had a gig where they could be used more often... maybe someday.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The EP1 is the only EF I've ever been completely happy with. Many filters on the market sound great, but the attack needed for the filter was much greater than my normal attack. The EP-1 can do that, but it also can be really sensitive.

That combined with a controllable volume (i.e no spike) makes it damn near perfect.

8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Is the EP-1 noisey at all (ie, hissy)???

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't have any problems with hiss.

10. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    What's the opinion on the ECHOLUTION AND ATTACK SUSTAIN? tHESE TWO SOUND GREAT TO ME.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The only Pigtronix pedal I haven't tried is the Disnortion, but right now I only own the EP-1 which I love. To echo abark's response, I don't find it to be noisy at all while engaged and there's no tone suck when it's bypassed. The filter is wet and warm and the phaser has a very organic quality. My only complain is that when switching modes I have to completely readjust the resonance knob. It's generally close to max when in EF mode, but I find I want it nearly at zero when using the phaser.

The Echolution is amazing. Ron Now posted some great samples in this thread if you want to check it out.

I really dig the Attack Sustain too, but then again I am still regretting that I ever sold my Slow Gear. The compression is nice, but for this pedal and the Echolution it's the price tag that's keeping them off my board right now.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Word on the street is that the Echolution is killer; very expensive, but worth it. And the ADSR is "neat" as a novelty; very expensive, and probably not worth it unless you have a plush budget for novelties.

13. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    I own both the EP1 and the OFO.
    +1 for the EP1. I won't duplicate what others have said. Very cool pedal.
    My disnortion does/did have a pop when switching the overdrive on/off.
    Now here's my story so far. I bouht he OFO used. I emailed David and he told me to send it back and they'd fix the pop. Most companies would laugh at even contacting them after buying a used pedal. I sent it back and patiently waited. After all, they weren't charging me anything. I got it back after a couple weeks, plugged it in and Wha??, the Octava section didn't work right anymore. And, there was still a pop ONLY when the Octava was on and I switched on/off the Overdrive.
    Obviously something got screwed up. I emailed him back and got a reply saying he's just going to send me a new one and to just send the current one back after I get it.
    Thats pretty good customer service...(I dont have the new one yet though).

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    True enough. If the ASDR was half the price, I'd buy one. As it is I just can't spend that much on it. Especially since I can find reasonable alternatives to it using a volume pedal and a tremolo.

15. a local store in my city is supposed to get an echolution in sometime, so I think I'll be stopping by there every now and again.