Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pillar-bed neck (à la floated-barrel)?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by barthanatos, Mar 8, 2006.

1. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Seems to be all the range in rifle barrels... supposed to make it vibrate more freely.

I got to thinking about this due to the singlecut/doublecut survey. I started wondering which design would have a better tone. I know... I'm weird. I think I'm in good company, though.

People make a big deal about sustain and what affects it and everything. I think this could be related.

Anyone willing to actually try it out? (Sorry, I don't mean on my money) Thoughts?

I know - you touch the neck of a bass and not the barrel of a rifle, but still. I wonder what it would be like.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Could you describe it some more for the benefit of those of us without gun knowledge?

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Uh....sounds interesting/promising upon first thought. I don't know anything about guns, but pulled this up, for those who want to read. They do mention this part in the article though, "This full-floating barrel will remain perfectly centered in the barrel channel of this laid-up fiberglass stock. Were it a one-piece stock of walnut, the gap between metal and wood would probably change between seasons or if subjected to a drenching." That doesn't sound too promising.
    http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsmithing/bedding_0304/

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Pillar bedding is designed to eliminate variables. By installing alum bedding pillars and free floatng the rest of the action and the barrel you will eliminate variables such as climate, humity and most important grip position. You will never grip a rifle stock the same every time, therfore if the wood stock would touch the barrel you could not reproduce the same tragectory evey time.

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I don't know nuthin' 'bout rifle barrels, but a freely vibrating neck doesn't sound like a good idea at all. If you take a string and let both ends vibrate freely then you don't end up with nice standing waves, you end up with a limp string.

That said, I'm sure there's some experimentation to be done with using something non-wood for the coupling between body and neck. It's very possible that some aluminium pillars as contact points would have an interesting effect on the instrument. Nothing to do but give 'er a try.

-Nate

6. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    True, as the barrel heats up the pressure from the stock touching it will affect the accuracy. Glass and pillar bedding also allow the action to not be put under stress caused by a poor fitting job within the stock.

I would think this would be undesirable for instruments, since you want the vibration to transfer from neck to body.

7. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    +1