1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pimp My Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrBonex, Oct 18, 2006.

1. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I thought you-all might like to see how my amp pimping project is coming along.

There are those here at TB who know my dislike of rat fur and love of Trace Elliot amps. So I re-covered my V6 in real tweed and varnished it. Then I took the speaker cloth covered front boards from both amps and laminated fiddleback redwood veneer on 'em. I finished them with about 8 coats of tung oil and lots of buffing. The redwood soaked up the oil like a sponge and it was brittle like a saltine cracker. But I just love that figured redwood! Woof!

I'll be re-covering the V300H some time in the near future.

Tres elegant and pimpy at the same time, eh?

2. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Very awesome.

3. that tweed one is "teh sex" as they say on the internets

VERYNICE!!!

4. fod

fod

Nov 18, 2005
    Louisivlle Kentucky
    wow beautiful very beauiful

5. nice, looks like you did a nice job!

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

I don't really have a lot of woodworking tools or skills, but I just sorta worked carefully. I also flipped over the veneer when I saw it. It was an impulsive project, but I thought, why shouldn't amps be great looking. God knows we spend enough money on 'em!

I'll post the V300H when I get it done. I need to order more tweed.

One last thought: It seems a little risky to modify an amp's appearance because lots of folks think that stuff ought to remain original. Maybe, but I'm pissed off at Trace for even thinking about putting rat fur on nice amps -- let alone actually doing it. So AFAIC, I'm making 'em better!

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    great job you did there.

8. Cool thing! One day I'm gonna tolex that Trace 1084 of me instead of that stinky fur.

9. Imho suxxx - green fur is awesome

10. wow that V6 looks amazing, great job.

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    You need some green bling to pimp that V6 grill, yo.

jk...

I like it, I might like it better if you were able to pick up some of the this green/blackish tolex Marshall makes.

[​IMG]

I think it'd look fantastic with these V-type amps. It'd go better with the faceplate color scheme than the rat fur or even the musty green that the first run tolexed tube V-types out there (the predecessor to the V4, but essentially the same amp).

12. The look is outstanding. I am not familiar with those amps, though. Will you have enough air flow with the redwood in front? Or was the speaker cloth just covering plywood originally?